• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Question pockets, a bunch of metaphors...

Caravaggio sat in the pink light, his hands over his face to erase everything so he could think precisely, as if this was one more gift of youth that did not come so easily to him any longer. “You must talk to me, Caravaggio. Or am I just a book? Something to be read, some creature to be tempted out of a loch and shot full of morphine,full of corridors, lies, loose vegetation, pockets of stones.”
    -----------------------------------

I have lived in the desert for years and I have come to believe in such things. It is a place of pockets. The trompe 1’oeil of time and water. The jackal with one eye that looks back and one that regards the path you consider taking. In his jaws are pieces of the past he delivers to you, and when all of that time is fully discovered it will prove to have been already known.

Her eyes looked at me, tired of everything. A terrible weariness. When I pulled her from the plane her stare had tried to receive all things around her. Now the eyes were guarded, as if protecting something inside. I moved closer, and sat on my heels. I leaned forward and put my tongue against the right blue eye, a taste of salt. Pollen. I carried that taste to
    her mouth. Then the other eye. My tongue against the fine porousness(Does this mean that she was already dead?) of the eyeball, wiping off the blue(what does this blue refer to?); when I moved back there was a sweep of white across her gaze. I parted the lips on her mouth, this time I let the fingers go in deeper and prised the teeth apart, the tongue was “withdrawn,” and I had to pull it forward, there was a thread(what does this word mean?), a breath of death in her. It was almost too late. I leaned forward and with my tongue carried the blue pollen to her tongue. We touched this way once. Nothing happened. I pulled back, took a breath and then went forward again. As I met the tongue there was a twitch within it. Then the terrible snarl, violent and intimate, came out of her upon me. A shudder through her whole body like a path of electricity. She was flung from the propped position against the painted wall. (what does this sentence mean?)

The creature had entered her and it leapt and fell against me. There seemed to be less and less light in the cave. Her neck flipping this way and that.

(This happened in the Caves of Swimmers after the plane was crashed,and she was badly injured.)
    ------------------------------
    The above are all from the English Patient.

full of corridors, lies, loose vegetation, pockets of stones.”
    These are probably metaphors, yet I can't figure out the designatum of them, does the corridors here refer to something(like secrets) hidden and important? Then what does the "loose vegetation" refer to? Pockets have a meaning of cavity, but what might the whole phrase "pockets of stones" allude to?

Does this pocket in the phrase"It is a place of pockets"merely mean secrets?

Had she already dead? Or was she just dieing?
    But if she was dead, then how could this——" a shudder through her whole body like a path of electricity"——happen?

Oh, I have fallen into a dense fog...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Re: pockets, a bunch of metaphors...

pockets of stones = To put stones in one's pockets means one is going to commit suicide. This term comes from the method of suicide employed by Virginia Woolf when she put a large stone in her pocket and walked into a river to drown herself.

Virginia Woolf died on 28 March 1941 when she drowned herself in the River Ouse near their home in Sussex, by putting rocks in her coat pockets

(please, see in Urban Dictionary)

Regards,

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Question Re: pockets, a bunch of metaphors...

Thank you vil.

It might have that meaning ,but I am still not sure of it, if "pockets of stones" means "he wanted to die", then what about the whole sentence? It seems that these words are all some hints about his character.