eating with their fingers

Status
Not open for further replies.

羡鱼-Xianyu

Member Type
Student or Learner
While individuals who break the (often unwritten) rules of society are reproached for their rudeness, ignorance of dress code, unpunctuality, speaking with their mouth full, eating with their fingers, or whatever, they find themselves punished on other ways. Some find to their horror that they have not been promoted; others fail to get what they want.

Dear all,
Could you please tell me what the red part mean?
eating with their fingers=sucking their fingers?

Thanks in advance!
Cheers!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
羡鱼-Xianyu;610455 said:
While individuals who break the (often unwritten) rules of society are reproached for their rudeness, ignorance of dress code, unpunctuality, speaking with their mouth full, eating with their fingers, or whatever, they find themselves punished on other ways. Some find to their horror that they have not been promoted; others fail to get what they want.

Dear all,
Could you please tell me what the red part mean?
eating with their fingers=sucking their fingers?

Thanks in advance!
Cheers!

No, it means using their fingers to pick up food and put it into their mouths, instead of using utensils (forks, knives, spoons, chopsticks) etc. Obviously, there are parts of the world where eating using one's hands is perfectly normal and acceptable, but in many countries which use cutlery on a regular basis, it is seen as uneducated, common and uncouth to eat with one's fingers/hands.

羡鱼-Xianyu

Member Type
Student or Learner
No, it means using their fingers to pick up food and put it into their mouths, instead of using utensils (forks, knives, spoons, chopsticks) etc. Obviously, there are parts of the world where eating using one's hands is perfectly normal and acceptable, but in many countries which use cutlery on a regular basis, it is seen as uneducated, common and uncouth to eat with one's fingers/hands.
Thanks a lot, emsr2d2. I've got it.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.