Should Guest Posting Be Turned Off?

Should guests be required to register before posting in these forums?

• Yes

Votes: 36 62.1%
  • No

Votes: 22 37.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

crissy97

Member Type
Student or Learner
no i dont think that people should be band from repling just keep the riff rack out that means keep an eye on things

PlacidRan

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Mixed feelings here, but I voted for "Yes." Keeps less spam.

Tomasz Klimkiewicz

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
If I might express my opinion on the topic, yes, I think it's quite a sensible restriction... why? Simply because it is bound to reduce the number of the forum hits, especially at rush hours. There are times when I get a 'server too busy, try later' message. If a member awaits a reply, they may browse the respective forum without logging in, then read the posts they wish to read.

Just an opinion... ;-)

davidbendtner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Well this is the first post of mine on this forum. Making Registration a compulsion certainly motivates the Guest to register himself at the forum. This way you can maintain the quality of the forum and people like me with some genuine purpose will only register to this forum.

beascarpetta

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Austria
As with everything else in life it doesn't really hurt to show a bit of respect for the people you expect to come to your rescue and answer the questions you hurl at them across the Net. Giving your name as a point of reference by registering isn't too much to ask.

This may be considered old-fashioned and entirely superfluous but don't you find yourself being a wee bit more careful about whatever you've got to say if you're stuck with some kind of identification tag as well?

So a heartfelt "yes" from this part of the globe to guest posting being turned off.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
It's inconvenient, so I vote no.

Bright One

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
United States
Weren't most threads created in the "Ask a teacher" section?
I think that was their main "target" :)
Even if it's a bit "unfair", most forums I know don't allow any guest posts.
And yes, sometimes I also ask myself, "Will he ever read my answer?"
If s/he's a member you can at least check her/his last activity (normally).

Cheers!

I agree with the idea of letting unregistered people post only in the "ask a teacher" section.

Believe me, this section is the most visited section in the forum and if you think about it, it'll become, if not yet, an encyclopedia of questions and answers about English language and this huge number of threads wouldn't be there if registration was required

And why does it matter if the person who posted the thread cared to see the answer or not, believe me if he/she didn't, many viewers do benefit from the questions and answers posted

I, also, thank you moderators of the forum for caring about our opinions - it really means a lot ;-)

IS Lecturer

Member Type
Academic
I think its good idea, because who wants benefit from this forum, will not hesitate to register which takes only few minutes to reach last step.

Best wishes

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
For the last few days we've been running the forum with guest posting turned off. This has meant that anyone wanting to use the forum needed to register before they were allowed to post.

We're keen to find out whether our regular users think this is a good idea or not. Therefore, please vote in this poll and tell us what you think!

Thanks! :up:

I'm coming very late to this discussion; sorry for that.

I'd like to ask, and I appreciate it may not be possible to find out, if since guest posting was turned off

a> the rate of registration of new members increased/decreased/stayed the same

b> the rate of posting new threads increased/decreased/stayed the same

I think this would be valuable data on the effect closing guest posting had. If the rate of registration of new members went up, and the rate of posting of new threads remained the same, then clearly asking people to register doesn't put people off posting, in which case I think it might be worth doing it.

If however we didn't get any more new members than normal, and the number of new threads went down then clearly asking people to register does put them off, and we have a harder decision to make about if the extra info we get is worth the loss of threads which might help more than just the person posting.

Amal-30

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I voted no, I think there is no problem if guests are allowed to post threads without registering.

Katsumoto

Member Type
Student or Learner
Yes because we have a lot of spammers, so they can post easily without even try to registration.

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I voted 'No'.

Everyone who desire to post something should be allowed to do so.

I saw this suggestion in other Arabic websites as well. I think it's 2010 idea :-D

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I finally voted yes, but after considerable thought.

Two reasons for this:

1. As a comparative newcomer, I hesitated to vote on something that might be important to people who have been contributing to this forum for nearly as many years as I have weeks.

2. I just couldn't make up my mind! Half of me wanted to open this splendid forum to as many people as possible with as few restrictions as possible. The other half thought, " if the £@##*!*s can't be bothered to register, then I am glad that I can spend more time on those who take the trouble".

So, I finally voted yes. I could just as easily voted no.:roll:

Trance Freak

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Tunisia
Current Location
Tunisia
I voted no. Why not allowing guests to post in? I personally started as a guest then signed up!
+ if a member answers a question just for the sake to be thanked, well in that caes the forum shouldn't be named UsingEnglish but Membersthanking...:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.