Results 1 to 4 of 4

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 16
    #1

    Football

    Please correct these sentences
    1) Football ball worldcup is starting from 11th of june, right.
    2) where is the football ball world cup held this year ( any better word than held)
    3) My exams are getting over on monday

  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,838
    #2

    Re: Football

    Quote Originally Posted by HARDWORK View Post
    Please correct these sentences
    1) Football ball worldcup is starting from 11th of june, right.
    2) where is the football ball world cup held this year ( any better word than held)
    3) My exams are getting over on monday
    1) The football World Cup starts on the 11th of June, doesn't it?

    2) Where is the World Cup being held this year? (There really isn't a better word than "held". The usual phrase is "to hold a tourament".)

    3) My exams will finish on Monday.
    My exams will be over on Monday.
    My last exam will be on Monday.

    Note: Twice, you wrote "the football ball..." The sport is simply called "football".


    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 16
    #3

    Re: Football

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    1) The football World Cup starts on the 11th of June, doesn't it?

    2) Where is the World Cup being held this year? (There really isn't a better word than "held". The usual phrase is "to hold a tourament".)

    3) My exams will finish on Monday.
    My exams will be over on Monday.
    My last exam will be on Monday.

    Note: Twice, you wrote "the football ball..." The sport is simply called "football".
    I have a query in the 1st sentence is using starting is incorrect I am just a bit confused as you have used starts why We say sarts and not starting.Also if I have to ask someone about exams so can I say" when are your exams getting over".when do actually use getting or we dont use it.Thanks

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #4

    Re: Football

    Quote Originally Posted by HARDWORK View Post
    I have a query in the 1st sentence is using starting is incorrect I am just a bit confused as you have used starts why We say sarts and not starting.Also if I have to ask someone about exams so can I say" when are your exams getting over".when do actually use getting or we dont use it.Thanks
    The progressive tenses are used more commonly in India than elsewhere, I believe.
    You can say, "The football World Cup is starting on the 11th of June, isn't it?" if you need to. Note that it doesn't "start from" a date. It can only start on a certain date. Following that, it doesn't start again the next day.

    If you want to ask a question, you use the forms that you've been given, and use the rules for formation of questions, eg.
    "My exams will finish on Monday." -> "When will your exams finish?"
    "My exams finish Monday" -> "When do your exams finish?"

Similar Threads

  1. soccer, football, American football, rugby
    By Fernanda in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Apr-2006, 19:12
  2. A football fan
    By F.K in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-Mar-2006, 18:55
  3. football (soccer)
    By FW in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-Mar-2003, 22:38
  4. football 2
    By FW in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-Mar-2003, 22:36

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •