Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

HARDWORK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Please correct these sentences
1) Football ball worldcup is starting from 11th of june, right.
2) where is the football ball world cup held this year ( any better word than held)
3) My exams are getting over on monday

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please correct these sentences
1) Football ball worldcup is starting from 11th of june, right.
2) where is the football ball world cup held this year ( any better word than held)
3) My exams are getting over on monday

1) The football World Cup starts on the 11th of June, doesn't it?

2) Where is the World Cup being held this year? (There really isn't a better word than "held". The usual phrase is "to hold a tourament".)

3) My exams will finish on Monday.
My exams will be over on Monday.
My last exam will be on Monday.

Note: Twice, you wrote "the football ball..." The sport is simply called "football".

HARDWORK

Member Type
Student or Learner
1) The football World Cup starts on the 11th of June, doesn't it?

2) Where is the World Cup being held this year? (There really isn't a better word than "held". The usual phrase is "to hold a tourament".)

3) My exams will finish on Monday.
My exams will be over on Monday.
My last exam will be on Monday.

Note: Twice, you wrote "the football ball..." The sport is simply called "football".
I have a query in the 1st sentence is using starting is incorrect I am just a bit confused as you have used starts why We say sarts and not starting.Also if I have to ask someone about exams so can I say" when are your exams getting over".when do actually use getting or we dont use it.Thanks

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I have a query in the 1st sentence is using starting is incorrect I am just a bit confused as you have used starts why We say sarts and not starting.Also if I have to ask someone about exams so can I say" when are your exams getting over".when do actually use getting or we dont use it.Thanks
The progressive tenses are used more commonly in India than elsewhere, I believe.
You can say, "The football World Cup is starting on the 11th of June, isn't it?" if you need to. Note that it doesn't "start from" a date. It can only start on a certain date. Following that, it doesn't start again the next day.

If you want to ask a question, you use the forms that you've been given, and use the rules for formation of questions, eg.
"My exams will finish on Monday." -> "When will your exams finish?"
"My exams finish Monday" -> "When do your exams finish?"

Status
Not open for further replies.