Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
What is the difference between To and For. In many sentences, I consider that both of them have the same meaning.

I know that "To" is used in numerous situation.

1- used before a verb to show that it is in the infinitive.
2- used after some verbs, especially when the action described in the infinitive will happen later.
3- used after many verbs of agreeing, needing and wanting.
4- used instead of repeating a verb clause.
5- used in phrases where there are reported orders and requests.
6- used after some adjectives.
7- used after some nouns.
8- A clause containing to + infinitive can be used as the subject of a sentence.
9- used after question words.
10- used with an infinitive to express use or purpose.
And more and more.

When talking about "For". First of all it's a preposition. That meaning... (PURPOSE, INTENDED FOR, BECAUSE OF, TIME/DISTANCE, OCCASION, COMPARING, SUPPORT, IN RELATION TO)

I use both of them as one meaning.

For example:
I sent an email to you.
I hired a car for you.
can you lift this box for me.
can you bring these books to me.

I want to know the difference between the them, and an explanation of how both of them are used.

Thank you in advance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What is the difference between To and For. In many sentences, I consider that both of them have the same meaning.

I use both of them as one meaning.

For example:
I sent an email to you.
I hired a car for you.
can you lift this box for me.
can you bring these books to me.

I want to know the difference between the them, and an explanation of how both of them are used.

Thank you in advance.

I sent an email to you = I sent an email in the direction of your email address!

I hired a car for you = I hired a car on your behalf. I hired a car and it is for you to use.

Can you lift this box for me? = Please lift this box. I cannot do it because it is too heavy, so I need you to do it instead of doing it myself.

Can you bring these books to me? = Can you collect these books from where they are now and bring them to where I am.

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I sent an email to you = I sent an email in the direction of your email address!

I hired a car for you = I hired a car on your behalf. I hired a car and it is for you to use.

Can you lift this box for me? = Please lift this box. I cannot do it because it is too heavy, so I need you to do it instead of doing it myself.

Can you bring these books to me? = Can you collect these books from where they are now and bring them to where I am.
But you explained my sentences. I want an explanation about the difference between To & For, and when should we use both of them.

tripledave

Member Type
Other
To: suggests a direct connection between point A and point B.

For: suggests reason, purpose and intent.

Switching "to" and "for" in those sentences changes the meaning greatly.

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
The explanation is very good, that added to me another useful step toward the top.
Thank you guys.

~Mav~

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe

Clear examples and explanations, thank you! :up:
But there are examples which are not so self-explanatory to me. Or for me? Which one is correct in this case? Or what about the following: "he must be important to you"? Or, again, would it also be correct to say for you in this case? :-?
"You mean everything to me" is the title of a famous song, but would it be correct to say something like "you are the world (Sun, whatever you want...) for me"?

philadelphia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
But there are examples which are not so self-explanatory to me. Or for me? Which one is correct in this case? Or what about the following: "he must be important to you"? Or, again, would it also be correct to say for you in this case? :-?
"You mean everything to me" is the title of a famous song, but would it be correct to say something like "you are the world (Sun, whatever you want...) for me"?

I am not going to correct you but explain how you can correct yourself. One day I heard 'Dont give a fish but teach how to fish'

To make it clearer/simple:
To me means a point of view, an opinion. Eg You are the best to me
For me means for my life. Eg You did your best for me.

Not a teacher at all - just a fisher hanging around

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
maybe both of them have the same meaning in several places, that is why I didn't understand.

~Mav~

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
I am not going to correct you but explain how you can correct yourself. One day I heard 'Dont give a fish but teach how to fish'
<off>
That's why I don't use Linux OS. :mrgreen: (No offense! ;-) )
</off>

To me means a point of view, an opinion."
I am absolutely positive that in my example sentence ("you mean everything to me") Neil Sedeka meant what you wrote about "for" ("For me means for my life."). :idea: ;-)

maybe both of them have the same meaning in several places, that is why I didn't understand.
:up: I kind of thought we had similar problems with the use of these two prepositions. ;-) (I.e. these examples are the ones which cause confusions.)
Maybe emsr2d2, The Parser or Raymott will be so kind as to give us some great examples and explanations on these cases. :)

philadelphia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
<off>
That's why I don't use Linux OS. :mrgreen: (No offense! ;-) )
</off>

I am absolutely positive that in my example sentence ("you mean everything to me") Neil Sedeka meant what you wrote about "for" ("For me means for my life."). :idea: ;-)

And I deffo agree. You answered perfectly and you were not caught in the trap. :idea:

That just proves you got it

~Mav~

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
Yes, but both atchan and I still would like to know more about the differences (assuming there are any) between "for" and "to" in the above mentioned examples. ;-) (This is a "hidden" bump. :-D )

Oops, it's a new page! This was my original post:

Status
Not open for further replies.