Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello Everyone,

In the following paragraph, what does the bottom line and the top line mean?

Innovation is nowdriving the growth of the whole business and manufacturing industry as companies realize they must innovate to remain competitive in today's global market. In the last century companies sought to strengthen their competitiveness by increasing productivity . Today, in addition to improving the bottom line through increases in productivity, companies are aiming to grow the top line through investment in innovation.

I think both of them mean profits??:)

Regards

Sky

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not a teacher.

The bottom line always means profits. When the math is done, there is one figure left at the bottom of the page: did you make money or lose money?

"Top line" I can't say I have heard. I think they mean the initial investment in modernizing stuff.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello Everyone,

In the following paragraph, what does the bottom line and the top line mean?

Innovation is nowdriving the growth of the whole business and manufacturing industry as companies realize they must innovate to remain competitive in today's global market. In the last century companies sought to strengthen their competitiveness by increasing productivity . Today, in addition to improving the bottom line through increases in productivity, companies are aiming to grow the top line through investment in innovation.

I think both of them mean profits??:)

Regards

Sky

Both of them refer to approach leading to proffit. The objective of any business whether manufacturing or trading, is to increase profit or margin on sales. In any books of account (profit/loss statements)the top-line refers to sales and the bottom line to expenses. So to achieve the objective, you can have a two way approach (1) the bottom line approach is to reduce expenses by increasing productive or (2) top line approach by increasing gross sales through innovation in investment. An investment in merger and acquisition to achieve higher sale is an innovative investment.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
So to achieve the objective, you can have a two way approach (1) the bottom line approach is to reduce expenses by increasing productive or (2) top line approach by increasing gross sales through innovation in investment.

Though, in general, it could be any way of 1) driving down costs and 2) driving sales up

Status
Not open for further replies.