US accent

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikinsmith

Member Type
Academic
hi friends,

[FONT=&quot]I learnt Spoken English in a British Accent which is very different form US Accent. now i want to learn US accent how can I learn it.[/FONT]

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As I had responded to a similar inquiry some time ago, be careful what you wish for. As I wrote also, would you like the New York, Eastern, New England, Mid-western, Southern, South-western, Lake Region or (maybe 2 or 3 other) U. S. accents? Native language accents can be attractive. It would be better to concentrate on pronunciation rather than to try to assume an accent that is not natural.

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
hi friends,

[FONT=&quot]I learnt Spoken English in a British Accent which is very different form US Accent. now i want to learn US accent how can I learn it.[/FONT]
What do you mean by learning an accent? Speaking or understanding?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
hi friends,

They have this new thing. It's called "Hollywood." :-D

mikinsmith

Member Type
Academic
As I had responded to a similar inquiry some time ago, be careful what you wish for. As I wrote also, would you like the New York, Eastern, New England, Mid-western, Southern, South-western, Lake Region or (maybe 2 or 3 other) U. S. accents? Native language accents can be attractive. It would be better to concentrate on pronunciation rather than to try to assume an accent that is not natural.

Thanks a lot for your Opinion,:up:

I think concentrating on pronunciation will be the right thing for me.

Dacre

Member Type
Academic
Just a tip about something I noticed in your post: in American English, typically we use spelled and learned instead of spelt and learnt.

Spelt and learnt aren't wrong in American English, but to most speakers they sound very British.

Most American television and movies will feature a "neutral" American accent, even if the people living in the location where the movie takes place would have an accent. For example, on the show Friends, they all generally speak with a neutral American accent, even though the show takes place in New York City (which does have a strong regional accent).

Status
Not open for further replies.