Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
hello everyone I am form Turkey and I want to learn what means "what matters is quality" and "quality is what matter" and the another question is "what hiz views are is what is important" I could not understand what its mean because are and is side by side is it true about grammer and why can you explain thank you very much...

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"what matters" = what is important

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello everyone, I am [STRIKE]form[/STRIKE] from Turkey and I want to learn what [STRIKE]means[/STRIKE] "what matters is quality" and "quality is what matters" mean.
[STRIKE]and the [/STRIKE]Another question is "what his views are is what is important". I could not understand what [STRIKE]its[/STRIKE] this means because are and is are side by side.
Is it true about grammar and why? (Is what true?!) Can you explain? Thank you very much.

"What matters is quality" and "Quality is what matters" mean the same as each other. Basically it means "The thing that is important is the quality [of the item being talked about]"

To matter = to be important

It matters to me what people think about me = It is important to me...
It doesn't matter = It's not important.

So, for example, if you are talking about a car or another expensive item. The colour is not really important. The number of doors is not really important. However, the quality is important. So - what (the thing) matters (that is important) is quality.

To your second example: What his views are is what is important!

There is one thing that is important. That thing is "what his views are". It's not a very well-constructed sentence and could have much better said as "His views are what is important", or even "His views are important".

So yes, it is possible to have "are" and "is" side-by-side in a sentence although, as you have seen, it can cause confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.