Any specific name for the knuckling shot for football?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kazamn

Member Type
English Teacher
Hi, everyone.

I am curious about the name of the shots that are made by some soccer players.
It is a non-spinning shot that is often kicked at free-kick moments like C. Ronaldo does.
Maybe, just knuckling shot or non-spinning shot is the name, but if you have special name for that, I would like to know.

Thank you.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi, everyone.

It is a non-spinning shot that is often kicked at free-kick moments like C. Ronaldo does.
Maybe, just knuckling shot or non-spinning shot is the name, but if you have special name for that, I would like to know.

Thank you.

Maybe you can borrow the term 'knuckle ball' from baseball.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Maybe you can borrow the term 'knuckle ball' from baseball.

Well, you might. But it wouldn't mean much to a lot of people.

The only use of 'knuckle' that I've met in a sporting context is in the game of marbles, when players 'knuckle down' at the start. (I've heard a marbles player say that this is the root of the phrasal verb 'knuckle down', meaning 'get started', but I'm not convinced - the 'marbles' usage refers to the players' crouching position.)

b

Last edited:

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Well, you might. But it wouldn't mean much to a lot of people.
That may be so, but it is an appropriate answer for the poster. (S)he practically called it that, in so many words.

b

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi, everyone.

Thank you.

Ronaldo doesn't use his hands so forget 'knuckling'. I had a look for you on the internet and from what I can gather he gives the ball a violent downwards stab with the edge of his foot, where the big toe's metatarsal and the instep meet, with the force of the stab powered by his thigh muscles.

It is a technique that Ronaldo developed himself - so you could call it a 'trademark Ronaldo free-kick' -and from what I can gather no other footballer has successfully copied him. According to Mark Hughes, the ex-Man City manager, even Ronaldo risks doing long-term damage to his body with his free-kicks:
Free kicks will ruin Cristiano Ronaldo’s knees, says City boss | Manchester United - Times Online

Status
Not open for further replies.