How is it the Prince's fault for Romeo & Juliet's deaths?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NarutoDude

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
For an important english essay, I have to write about how Prince Escalus in Romeo & Juliet is responsible for Romeo and Juliet's deaths. All I can think of is that he banished Romeo, just because Romeo killed Tybalt, who would've been killed anyways.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How does that make him responsible for their deaths?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
For an important english essay, I have to write about how Prince Escalus in Romeo & Juliet is responsible for Romeo and Juliet's deaths. All I can think of is that he banished Romeo, just because Romeo killed Tybalt, who would've been killed anyways.
How is the question phrased? Do you have the option of arguing that he is not responsible for their deaths?

NarutoDude

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
We have to write an essay on why Prince Escalus is responsible for the deaths of Romeo and Juliet.

NarutoDude

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
So far I got this as my intro:

A dictator who misuses his powers would result in many deaths. Romeo's family, the Montagues, and Juliet's family, the Capulets, get into fights often. Prince Escalus has the power to prevent the two families from fighting. However, he simply threatens and does not enforce his laws. After yet another fight, he unjustly banished Romeo. Therefore, Prince Escalus is responsible for the deaths of Romeo and Juliet.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
You could add that, when people suicide, it's always someone else's fault, and that the common people really can't be expected to take responsibility for themselves.
Also, when anything bad happens, it's always the government's fault; and Escalus is the government.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I'd be writing an essay on how Romeo's and Juliet's deaths aren't anybody else's fault but their own. Really, suicide is a sign of cowardice, and no matter what the situation is -- no matter how bad it is -- if you value your life, then you should strive to continue living and persevere. And to be honest, I think their love is immature and childish to get to the point of wanting to die without the other.
Yes, but you see, you'd fail. Because that wouldn't be answering the question. NarutoDude has told us that he must take it for granted that Escalus is responsible, and explain why.
It's apparently an exercise in writing a persuasive essay from a position that you don't believe in.

Besides, whose fault is it that the parents let it get to that stage? If Escalus had sent in the Department of Child Protection earlier, none of this would have happened. I'd be calling for a full commission of enquiry.

Not only that, Escalus was far too weak on the National Sword Association. These kids had no right to be roaming the streets of Verona brandishing weapons at age 14. It was a deeply flawed administration, with a totally dysfunctional police force.
And where the guards on Juliet's tomb? Why was it left open? What about the second knifeman theory? There are questions to be answered here that have been covered up for too long!

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Surely, the failure of the message to get through to Romeo is a greater trigger of the deaths. It's a very strange question because I think it is pointing the finger at someone who has, at best, a fairly minor degree of responsibility.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Perhaps the prince did too little to end the feud, an indirect but important contribution to their deaths, and the banishment forced the separation of the two lovers, who could not live without one another, a more direct cause.

NarutoDude

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Here's the updated intro:

A bad dictator causes many deaths in "Romeo and Juliet" by William Shakespeare. Romeo's family, the Montagues, and Juliet's family, the Capulets, often fight with each other. Prince Escalus has the power to prevent the two families from fighting. However, he failed to use his powers properly. He repeatedly gives warnings without punishing anyone, and unjustly banishes Romeo when he does. As a result, Prince Escalus is indirectly responsible for the deaths of Romeo and Juliet.

I forgot to mention that this is a three body paragraph persuasive essay.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Is the banishment so patently unjust? He did actually kill someone, even if the circumstances were complicated.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Is the banishment so patently unjust? He did actually kill someone, even if the circumstances were complicated.
I agree. I thought the banishment was an act of clemency. It's not a good argument to say that Escalus should have been harsher, and then blame him for banishing Romeo when Romeo could have been executed for his crime.

NarutoDude

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I guess you're right. I'll try to somehow word it so that it sounds like the Prince should've punished Lord Montague and Lord Capulet. But he punished Romeo instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.