use of in

1) It was a funny argument( Can any other word be used instead of funny)
    2) what are you going to major in for/in TY (THIRD YEAR,Its means gradutation in India)
    3) My mom was going to ask my father to go and complain to the Principal then I told her , its of no use the exam paper is over
    Last edited by englishquestion; 08-Jun-2010 at 07:26.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: use of in

Quote Originally Posted by englishquestion View Post
    2) what are you going to major in for/in TY (THIRD YEAR,Its means gradutation in India)
    3) My mom was going to ask my father to go and complain to the Principal then I told her , its of no use the exam paper is over
    **not a teacher**

As we say in the States, do you mean funny-haha or funny-strange? Funny-haha would make you laugh because it is humorous or even hilarious. Funny-strange would make you feel uncomfortable because there was something odd, or not quite right about it. You could use either "humorous" or "strange" to replace funny in that sentence.

Some options would be-
    What are you going to major in during TY?
    What is your TY major going to be?
    What are you majoring in for TY?

All of which give the idea that your third year major might differ from your second year major. If that is not the case you might just say "What subject are you going to major in?" or "What will your major be?".