Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. 2010's Avatar
    Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 373
    #1

    Sentence construction

    Is this sentence correct.

    I spoke to the computer manufacturer.

    I spoke to the computer's manufacturer.

    Second sentence sounds correct to me, but we nomally use and hear people using the first sentence often.

    Please advise.

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    Moderator
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 48,925
    #2

    Re: Sentence construction

    Quote Originally Posted by 2010 View Post
    Is this sentence correct.

    I spoke to the computer manufacturer.

    I spoke to the computer's manufacturer.

    Second sentence sounds correct to me, but we nomally use and hear people using the first sentence often.

    Please advise.
    A "computer manufacturer" is simply a person/company which makes computers, generally!

    If you have a specific computer which has gone wrong and you make a call about that computer, then you would say "I spoke to the computer's manufacturer" because you are talking about the maker of that specific computer.

  3. 2010's Avatar
    Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 373
    #3

    Re: Sentence construction

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    A "computer manufacturer" is simply a person/company which makes computers, generally!

    If you have a specific computer which has gone wrong and you make a call about that computer, then you would say "I spoke to the computer's manufacturer" because you are talking about the maker of that specific computer.
    I am still not clear, please elaborate.

    As per your explanation, shouldn't I be saying then...

    I spoke to a computer manufacturer. (because, I am not referring to one particular group\person who builds computers) (Note: this is my understanding)

    I spoke to the computer's manufacturer. (I know which computer I am talking about and the person to whom I spoke regarding this)

    Please advise!

  4. emsr2d2's Avatar
    Moderator
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 48,925
    #4

    Re: Sentence construction

    Quote Originally Posted by 2010 View Post
    I am still not clear, please elaborate.

    As per your explanation, shouldn't I be saying then...

    I spoke to a computer manufacturer. (because, I am not referring to one particular group\person who builds computers) (Note: this is my understanding)

    I spoke to the computer's manufacturer. (I know which computer I am talking about and the person to whom I spoke regarding this)

    Please advise!
    OK. 2 scenarios:

    1) You are in charge of purchasing the IT for your company. You have already decided that you will buy your computers from DELL, so you ring them. You tell your boss: "I spoke to the computer manufacturer, Dell, and they are going to send me a quote".

    2) Same basic scenario, but when you go to your boss you don't want him to know which company you used. You could say "I spoke to a computer manufacturer and hopefully I'll have a quote soon".

  5. 2010's Avatar
    Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 373
    #5

    Re: Sentence construction

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    OK. 2 scenarios:

    1) You are in charge of purchasing the IT for your company. You have already decided that you will buy your computers from DELL, so you ring them. You tell your boss: "I spoke to the computer manufacturer, Dell, and they are going to send me a quote".

    2) Same basic scenario, but when you go to your boss you don't want him to know which company you used. You could say "I spoke to a computer manufacturer and hopefully I'll have a quote soon".
    Hmmm, sorry, I think I need to concentrate to understand this concept better...

    1. When will I use the possessive form of "computer" (computer's manufacturer) (My understanding: computer's manufacturer = manufacturer of the computer)

    2. If I say "computer manufacturer = ?

    My understanding:

    I could say...

    I spoke to the computer manufacturer, Dell (mention the name of the manufacturer)

    I spoke to the computer's manufacturer. (Here, Dell is not required considering the fact that both "listener and speaker" knows the manufacturer of the computer)

    PS. Sorry to bother you, but I hope you could help me with this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •