Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
If one was to say "look upon us with your eyes of mercy", what would that constitute, a metaphor or personification?

I would have to say that it is a metaphor. I'm thinking that it could possibly be both. Is it possible to give human qualities to an eye, which is already part of the human body? Thanks.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I don't see it as a personification- eyes can reflect many different emotions, so I don't see that this embodies mercy.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Besides, personification is a kind of metaphor - when my old physics master said 'the molecules really like that - it sets them up a treat' he was speaking metaphorically by personifying the molecules.

b

Jason7377

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Thanks. What literary device would you describe it as? Also, another metaphor question I have is if one was to say: She spoke with happiness. What would that be? Thanks, I'm having some trouble telling the differences.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's either metonymy or synecdoche or both - I'm never sure! You try to work it out - start here: Synecdoche - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

'She spoke with happiness' isn't (usually) metaphorical at all - if it means 'She spoke happily'. It would be metaphorical if she was having a conversation with the abstract noun.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.