Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Here is another very particular question.

“This and the immediately following paragraphs are the most striking in the entire book.”

I am having a little problem with this sentence, because, due to the plural ‘s’ on ‘paragraph’, it gives the impression that it is referring to [this one paragraph + next few paragraphs], where it is actually intended to mean [this one paragraph + next one paragraph].

“This and the immediately following paragraph are the most striking in the entire book.”
Is this acceptable then? (I’m guessing no)

Of course, this problem could be solved by saying “This paragraph and the immediately following paragraph are the most striking in the entire book”, but I am more interested in clarifying the grammatical rules than finding better expressions.

Jay Louise

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Here is another very particular question.

“This and the immediately following paragraphs are the most striking in the entire book.”

I am having a little problem with this sentence, because, due to the plural ‘s’ on ‘paragraph’, it gives the impression that it is referring to [this one paragraph + next few paragraphs], where it is actually intended to mean [this one paragraph + next one paragraph].

“This and the immediately following paragraph are the most striking in the entire book.”
Is this acceptable then? (I’m guessing no)

Of course, this problem could be solved by saying “This paragraph and the immediately following paragraph are the most striking in the entire book”, but I am more interested in clarifying the grammatical rules than finding better expressions.

**I am not a teacher**

This sentence is fine and it would mean [this one paragraph + next few paragraphs].

I don't see any problem with this sentence and would take it to mean this paragraph and the one immediately following it.

Ju1ian

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan

This sentence is fine and it would mean [this one paragraph + next few paragraphs].

I don't see any problem with this sentence and would take it to mean this paragraph and the one immediately following it.
Interesting... How about these?

A1. Chapters 1 and 2 are the most important.
A2. Chapter 1 and 2 are the most important.

B1. The first and the second chapters are the most important.
B2. The first and the second chapter are the most important.
B3. The first and second chapters are the most important.
B4. The first and second chapter are the most important.

(I added B3 and B4 for a slightly different kind of quesion: can you or should you omit the second 'the'?)

Ju1ian

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan

Jay Louise

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm not a teacher so I can't do this well off the top of my head and I'm moving soon so all my books are packed. I will try to explain the differences without confusing you.

This and the immediately following paragraphs are...
this paragraph and the ones that follow it are...
this paragraph and those paragraphs are
these few paragraphs are

This and the immediately following paragraph are...
this paragraph and the one that follows it are...
this paragraph and that paragraph are
these two paragraphs are

A1. Chapters 1 and 2 are the most important.
A2. Chapter 1 and chapter 2 are the most important.
These two chapters are...
The first two chapters are...
I would use A1 since you are listing a number of chapters. You wouldn't say "Chapter 1, 2, 5 and 8 were the most confusing".

Chapter 1 and chapter 2 and chapter 8 are the most interesting.
Chapters 1 and 2 and 8...
Chapters 1, 2 and 8...

Can you see why you use plural "chapters" in A1 but singular "chapter" in A2?

B1. The first and the second chapters are the most important. :up:
These chapters are...
B2. The first chapter and the second chapter are the most important.
This chapter and that chapter are...

can you or should you omit the second 'the'?
Yes you can and it does make the sentence flow better.

B3. The first and second chapters are the most important. :up:
B4. The first chapter and second chapter are the most important.

I hope this helps you. All I can offer are examples. If you need the specific rule for this situation, someone else will need to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.