Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 89
    #1

    by default

    Is it possible someone explain this sentences to me.
    The first part... okey I understand... But what it means in the following part

    I am responsible for putting thet trust there in the first place. I did not earn it as much as demand it by default.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 3,505
    #2

    Re: by default

    Quote Originally Posted by brend10 View Post
    Is it possible someone explain this sentences to me.
    The first part... okey I understand... But what it means in the following part

    I am responsible for putting thet trust there in the first place. I did not earn it as much as demand it by default.
    Well, it's a little difficult to interpret the full meaning here without more detail because "putting the trust" (in someone or in something) does not seem to be compatible with "earning/demanding" (receiving). Perhaps you could provide a little more detail or explanation.

  1. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #3

    Re: by default

    Quote Originally Posted by billmcd View Post
    Well, it's a little difficult to interpret the full meaning here without more detail because "putting the trust" (in someone or in something) does not seem to be compatible with "earning/demanding" (receiving). Perhaps you could provide a little more detail or explanation.
    I agree that 'the trust' sounds strange and that we need more context. My guess is that 'the trust' is a financial instrument, 'there' means 'in place' so that 'put the trust there' means 'set the trust up', and that 'it' doesn't refer to it but to money, which the speaker 'demanded'. Some people use 'by default' in the sense 'implicitly' rather than 'without specifying it'.

    b

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 89
    #4

    Re: by default

    It's a novel written by Jodi Picoult

    The paragraph is as follows:

    You're staring at me with every step, and at first I'm embarrased - that you should se me like this, wearing convict stripes and stripped down to the very morrw of my faults. I'm too ashamed, at first, to even meet your gaze, but when I do, I'm even more ashamed. I bet you don't realize it, but there's still hope in your eyes. After all this, you still trust me to explain why your life has been upended. I am responsible for putting that trust there in the first place; I did not earn it as much as demand it by default.

    it is a novel that a girl is stolen by her father. He tells her thet her mother is died. 28 years later the man gets arrested. and She found out that her father took away her ( when she is 4 years old ) from her mother because she is an alcholic etc etc..

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 3,505
    #5

    Re: by default

    Quote Originally Posted by brend10 View Post
    It's a novel written by Jodi Picoult

    The paragraph is as follows:

    You're staring at me with every step, and at first I'm embarrased - that you should se me like this, wearing convict stripes and stripped down to the very morrw of my faults. I'm too ashamed, at first, to even meet your gaze, but when I do, I'm even more ashamed. I bet you don't realize it, but there's still hope in your eyes. After all this, you still trust me to explain why your life has been upended. I am responsible for putting that trust there in the first place; I did not earn it as much as demand it by default.

    it is a novel that a girl is stolen by her father. He tells her thet her mother is died. 28 years later the man gets arrested. and She found out that her father took away her ( when she is 4 years old ) from her mother because she is an alcholic etc etc..
    The father admits that he demanded trust from his daughter. By "default" he is suggesting that among any other reasons for trust, including earning it, was the father's demand to be trusted.

  2. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,218
    #6

    Re: by default

    I think perhaps the "by default" means that without her mother, she had no one ELSE to trust when she was a little girl. By default, she had to trust him.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 577
    #7

    Re: by default

    I have no clear idea what the father means when he says he demanded trust by default. Can a person demand something by default? I don't know. To me, to demand something is a positive action at odds with the passivity of doing something by default. And you know, just because Jodi Picoult's an author, it doesn't mean her English is that good!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 89
    #8

    Smile Re: by default

    thank you very much.. to all of you. You've been great

  3. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #9

    Re: by default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    I think perhaps the "by default" means that without her mother, she had no one ELSE to trust when she was a little girl. By default, she had to trust him.
    This sounds to me by far the most plausible explanation. I agree with Bertie that demanding doesn't 'fit' with default, but I think there's some implicit elision going on here. She had to put trust in her father by default (in the absence of the mother), and demanded trustworthiness from him.

    b

Similar Threads

  1. by default
    By Humble in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26-Aug-2006, 08:58

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •