Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Is it possible someone explain this sentences to me.
The first part... okey I understand... But what it means in the following part

I am responsible for putting thet trust there in the first place. I did not earn it as much as demand it by default.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is it possible someone explain this sentences to me.
The first part... okey I understand... But what it means in the following part

I am responsible for putting thet trust there in the first place. I did not earn it as much as demand it by default.

Well, it's a little difficult to interpret the full meaning here without more detail because "putting the trust" (in someone or in something) does not seem to be compatible with "earning/demanding" (receiving). Perhaps you could provide a little more detail or explanation.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, it's a little difficult to interpret the full meaning here without more detail because "putting the trust" (in someone or in something) does not seem to be compatible with "earning/demanding" (receiving). Perhaps you could provide a little more detail or explanation.

I agree that 'the trust' sounds strange and that we need more context. My guess is that 'the trust' is a financial instrument, 'there' means 'in place' so that 'put the trust there' means 'set the trust up', and that 'it' doesn't refer to it but to money, which the speaker 'demanded'. Some people use 'by default' in the sense 'implicitly' rather than 'without specifying it'.

b

brend10

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
It's a novel written by Jodi Picoult

The paragraph is as follows:

You're staring at me with every step, and at first I'm embarrased - that you should se me like this, wearing convict stripes and stripped down to the very morrw of my faults. I'm too ashamed, at first, to even meet your gaze, but when I do, I'm even more ashamed. I bet you don't realize it, but there's still hope in your eyes. After all this, you still trust me to explain why your life has been upended. I am responsible for putting that trust there in the first place; I did not earn it as much as demand it by default.

it is a novel that a girl is stolen by her father. He tells her thet her mother is died. 28 years later the man gets arrested. and She found out that her father took away her ( when she is 4 years old ) from her mother because she is an alcholic etc etc..

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's a novel written by Jodi Picoult

The paragraph is as follows:

You're staring at me with every step, and at first I'm embarrased - that you should se me like this, wearing convict stripes and stripped down to the very morrw of my faults. I'm too ashamed, at first, to even meet your gaze, but when I do, I'm even more ashamed. I bet you don't realize it, but there's still hope in your eyes. After all this, you still trust me to explain why your life has been upended. I am responsible for putting that trust there in the first place; I did not earn it as much as demand it by default.

it is a novel that a girl is stolen by her father. He tells her thet her mother is died. 28 years later the man gets arrested. and She found out that her father took away her ( when she is 4 years old ) from her mother because she is an alcholic etc etc..

The father admits that he demanded trust from his daughter. By "default" he is suggesting that among any other reasons for trust, including earning it, was the father's demand to be trusted.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think perhaps the "by default" means that without her mother, she had no one ELSE to trust when she was a little girl. By default, she had to trust him.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have no clear idea what the father means when he says he demanded trust by default. Can a person demand something by default? I don't know. To me, to demand something is a positive action at odds with the passivity of doing something by default. And you know, just because Jodi Picoult's an author, it doesn't mean her English is that good!

brend10

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
thank you very much.. to all of you. You've been great

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think perhaps the "by default" means that without her mother, she had no one ELSE to trust when she was a little girl. By default, she had to trust him.

:up: This sounds to me by far the most plausible explanation. I agree with Bertie that demanding doesn't 'fit' with default, but I think there's some implicit elision going on here. She had to put trust in her father by default (in the absence of the mother), and demanded trustworthiness from him.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.