Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up What would you say..?

Is this situation formed correctly? If yes, what you would say in it?
    "Your cousin offers to go with you to the doctor's, but you can't take him on your own."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Re: What would you say..?

Sorry ,I cant take you on my own.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

What do you mean by "You can't take him on his own"?
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

this is what i am asking about ; what does "you can't take him on your own" mean?

if we know the meaning of it, the reply on the situation would be clear and easy.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by omar971 View Post
    this is what i am asking about ; what does "you can't take him on your own" mean?

if we know the meaning of it, the reply on the situation would be clear and easy.
    "You can't take him on his own" doesn't really make any sense. It suggests that you cannot "only take your cousin". Perhaps you have to take your cousin and a friend?! Very confusing.

The beginning of the sentence says "Your cousin offers to go with you to the doctor..." The assumption here is that you must visit the doctor, and your cousin has said "Shall I come with you?"

If the next part was "...but you can't take him on your own" it might make sense. That suggests that perhaps you are too weak to take your cousin, or that your cousin is a small or difficult child and it would be too difficult for you to control him/her on your own.

But in this context, I can't make any sense of "you can't take him on his own".

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    "You can't take him on his own" doesn't really make any sense. It suggests that you cannot "only take your cousin". Perhaps you have to take your cousin and a friend?! Very confusing.

The beginning of the sentence says "Your cousin offers to go with you to the doctor..." The assumption here is that you must visit the doctor, and your cousin has said "Shall I come with you?"

If the next part was "...but you can't take him on your own" it might make sense. That suggests that perhaps you are too weak to take your cousin, or that your cousin is a small or difficult child and it would be too difficult for you to control him/her on your own.

But in this context, I can't make any sense of "you can't take him on his own".
    I really don't know where the word "his own " came from? ..my sentence has the phrase "your own"...then , what is the best reply on the situation?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I really don't know where the word "his own " came from? ..my sentence has the phrase "your own"...then , what is the best reply on the situation?
    That's very strange. Both BarbD and I obviously read "on his own"!

Anyway, my explanation of what it means with "on your own" is in my previous post. I don't really know what you mean by "What is the best reply?"

The sentence you have posted doesn't require a reply! It's a statement.

Do you want to tell the other person something like "Don't be silly. Of course I can take him on my own" or "Why do you think I can't take him on my own?"

Thanks a lot my dear friends , from our discussion I can include that in this situation when "my cousin offers to go with me to the doctor's, but I can't take him on my own" I say to him "Thank you, but I can't take you on my own." ........ Do you agree with me?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Thanks a lot my dear friends , from our discussion I can include that in this situation when "my cousin offers to go with me to the doctor's, but I can't take him on my own" I say to him "Thank you, but I can't take you on my own." ........ Do you agree with me?
    Yes, if you are actually talking about the content of the conversation between you and your cousin!

You: I have to go to the doctor.
    Cousin: Would you like me to come with you?
    You: Thanks, but I can't take you on my own.

I'm still not sure in what scenario this would be true. If your cousin is old enough to offer to accompany you to the doctor, then he/she is old enough, presumably, to simply go with you. You wouldn't have to "take" him/her, whether you're on your own or not!

I completely agree with you that it seems not to be logical and that is why i put this situation here for discussion as the exercise book for the second year secondary here in Egypt put this situation for students to answer and it seems unlogical for me.

thanks alot..i really get a great benefit of our discussion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast