Are 'credence' , 'credit' and 'belief' the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazYgeeK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Thank all to answer this question for me please.

Jay Louise

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
*I am not a teacher, these are just my own thoughts*

Are 'credence' , 'credit' and 'belief' the same?

Not exactly, you wouldn't replace one with the others in a sentence.

Belief is used in matters of faith or religion or whenever you may not have facts to support a conclusion or when you trust in something but don't know it to be true. I believe my husband is at work, but I don't know that for a fact.

Credence is not commonly used. I might say "This report gives credence to the idea of..." meaning that the report makes the idea believable, more trustworthy. Your "credentials" give "credence" to you, meaning that I will believe that I can trust you in some way.

In the same way that credence and credentials go together I would say that "credit" and "credible" are related. My dictionary says "credit: Belief or confidence in the truth of st: trust. The quality of being trustworthy or credible." "credible: capable of being believed; plausible. Worthy of confidence; reliable."

If I give you credit and let you borrow money, I believe that you will pay the money back. I have confidence that you are trustworthy and reliable. I might believe all this because you have good credentials. If someone asked why I gave you money I would answer, "Because I believe in him."

So all of these words are related to the same ideas but are used in very different ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.