[Grammar] PAST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mauricio67

Member Type
English Teacher
Please,

What is the main difference betwenn PAST PERFECT and PAST PERFECT CONTINUOUS, I mean, how to explain it to the students ?

:up:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please,

What is the main difference betwenn PAST PERFECT and PAST PERFECT CONTINUOUS, I mean, how to explain it to the students ?

The past perfect simply describes something that happened. The past perfect continuous is for something that happened in relation to something else.

I walked to the shop.
I was walking to the shop when my phone rang.

I ate pizza for dinner.
I was eating pizza for dinner when my TV suddenly exploded!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: PAST PERFECT, NOT PAST CONTINUOUS

I meant PAST PERFECT.

Apologies, I misread your post!

I was tired because I had walked to the shop three times that day.

I decided to have pasta for dinner because I had eaten pizza twice that week already.

I had seen my boyfriend only once that month so I was desperate to see him again.

The past perfect still refers to something which happened in the past, but can be an explanation for/connected to something else.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Please,

The difference is similar to that between the present perfect and pres. perf. continuous.
I have driven / I have been driving. (pres. perf.)
I had driven / I had been driving. (past perf.)

Present perfect:
"I have driven a bus before, so I think I can take these people on a short trip."
"I have been driving a bus ever since I got my licence, so I'm not worried about driving in heavy traffic."

Past perfect:
"I had driven along that route before, so I knew the way."
"I had been driving along that route for three years, so I knew the roads like the back of my hand."

The continuous, as usual, simply adds the element of ongoing-ness to the verb.
With continuous tenses, something is happening, was happening, or had been happening in the same situation that the non-progressive tenses describe something that happens, did happen or had happened.

It's often used to describe a situation in which something was happening (over a period of time) when something interrupted it. A discrete event interrupts an ongoing event:
"I'm walking along, minding my own business, and some guy comes up and mugs me." (present continuous -> present simple)
"I was watching television when the phone rang" (pres perf. cont. -> simple past)
"I had been working there for 20 years when they decided to sack me" (past perf. continuous -> simple past)

Status
Not open for further replies.