Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
We all know what had happened in Bhopal on the midnight of 3rd Dec, 1984. Hundreds and thousands people lost their lives instantly because of the poisonous gas that filled the air. How can the US president? Or for that matter any of the US diplomats can say after the verdict that the victims got the justice and it should be closed for once and all. 25,000 people died, and only 6 people who were convicted got two years jail term and they were out on bail instantly for the heinous crime and the main accuse is enjoying the lavish life in the backyard of the US.

Nightmare85

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
**Neither a teacher nor a native speaker.**

Hello :)

We all know what had happened in Bhopal on the midnight of 3rd Dec, 1984. Hundreds and thousands (of) people lost their lives instantly because of the poisonous gas that filled the air. How can the US president? [something is missing here] Or for that matter any of the US diplomats can say after the verdict that the victims got the justice and it should be closed for once and all. 25,000 people died, and only 6 people who were convicted got two years jail term and they were out on bail instantly for the heinous crime and the main accusation is enjoying the lavish life in the backyard of the US.

Hmm, I didn't find much.
I hope some other members can help you better...

Cheers!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
We all know what [STRIKE]had [/STRIKE] happened in Bhopal [STRIKE]on the[/STRIKE] at midnight of 3rd Dec, 1984. Hundreds [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] of thousands of people
'hundreds' if it's less than 1,000; otherwise 'thousands', 'tens of thousands', 'hundreds of thousands' ...
lost their lives instantly because of the poisonous gas that filled the air. How can the US president, or for that matter any of the US diplomats,
[STRIKE]can[/STRIKE] say after the verdict that the victims got [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] justice and that it [what is 'it'] should be closed [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] once and for all? 25,000 people died, and only 6 people [STRIKE]who[/STRIKE] were convicted and got two year[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] jail terms. Furthermore, they were out on bail instantly for the heinous crime and the main accused is enjoying the lavish life in the backyard of the US.
R.

Nightmare85

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Raymott, wow, you always fascinate me ;-)
And congratulations on your 9000th post :up:

Cheers!

new2grammar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
continuity...

Who should we blame for the escape of the main accused of the Bhopal Gas Tragedy. Our judiciary or politicians, no one has any doubt about it, it’s the latter lot. The Government of the day made all the arrangement for the safe passage for Mr. Anderson from Bhopal to Delhi & thereafter to the US. Why are our politicians so selfish? Just for a small amount of money they stabbed the victim’s family members faith in judiciary and democracy with corruption

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
***neither a teacher nor a native-speaker***

Some suggestions;

To whom should be blame for the escape of the main(primary?) accused(suspect?, convict?) of the tragedy.

Our judiciary or politicians, no one has (If the subject is starting with Our..., then this should be have, but if the sentence no one... is a separate one, which is confusing, then you should start the whole sentence with "Is it our judiciary...". Thus the latter, which now makes sense, but I'm still curious about lot.) any doubt about it, it’s the latter lot. (edit:check the first parantheses-I don't know what is a latter lot. I'd be happy to know that).

[STRIKE]
The Government of the day[/STRIKE]The then goverment made all the arrangement for Mr. Anderson's safe passage from Bhopal to Delhi [STRIKE]&[/STRIKE] and then [STRIKE]thereafter [/STRIKE]to the US.

Just for a small amount of money (Grammaticall I can't say anthing about this but, if there had been more money involved, would it have justified those politicians ?) .They stabbed the victim’s family members' faith(I guess, the faith of the victim's family would be better) in (both) judiciary(I think you should say "justice" and democracy (in the back) with corruption.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
continued...

Who should we blame for the escape of the main accused of the Bhopal Gas Tragedy?
If he was only accused and not convicted, escape is probably not the right term. You are assuming he's guilty, so you might as well say: "the main perpetrator".

Our judiciary or politicians, no one has any doubt about it,
[See Gilnetter's lesson about this. I have a doubt]

it’s the latter lot. The Government of the day made all the arrangements for the safe passage for Mr. Anderson from Bhopal to Delhi and thereafter to the US. Why are our politicians so selfish? Just for a small amount of money they stabbed the victims' family members faith in judiciary and democracy with corruption
They stabbed their faith with corruption? Probably not the best metaphor.
R.

~Mav~

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
*** NOT A TEACHER ***

They stabbed their faith with corruption? Probably not the best metaphor.
How about "stained" or "smirched"? (I'd use stained: "they stained their faith with...". :oops: )

victims' family members faith...
Is it just me, or should it be "family members' faith"? :-? Or how about: "the faith of the victims' family members" :?:

PS:

Raymott, wow, you always fascinate me ;-)
And congratulations on your 9000th post :up:

Let me add one more voice to the chorus of praise. :up: :-D Thank you very much, Raymott, for your enlightening posts, your excellent thoughts you share with us, for your patience and helpfulness. :up:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.