Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
How do you call those small chairs that children use when sitting in the back seat of a car? Are these chairs mandatory in English speaking countries? If they are, what happens when an adult has to give a ride to a child´s friend? Are there penalties if the friend is not using the chair?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Just in case you are interested, the chair they sit in at the table are called "high chairs" in the US. Now your US child-seat vocabulary is richer. ;-)

beachboy

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
BTW, was my question correct and clear? Any petty or gross mistakes? Can I ask "how do you call....."?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
For info, in the UK, they're usually called either "child seats" or "car seats".

In the UK, the law states that a child under 3 must be in the appropriate travel seat whether in the front or the back (except in a taxi!). Over the age of 3 they must travel in the correct child seat until the age of 12 or until they are 135cm in height, whichever happens first. After that, they must use the adult seatbelt whether in the front or the back. It is the driver's responsibility to ensure that all children in their vehicle are appropriately restrained.

All adults must use a seatbelt in the front or the back, where there is a seatbelt fitted.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm always telling my son to sit up straight when we drive past the police station on the way back from school - I keep forgetting his seat at my ex's.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.