Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear teachers,

If I do something in two steps can I use the word procedure? For example,
The procedure is: first......; second....?
Or only when there are more than three steps can we use "procedure" ?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thank you in advance.

Jiang

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dear teachers,

If I do something in two steps can I use the word procedure? For example,
The procedure is: first......; second....?
Or only when there are more than three steps can we use "procedure" ?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thank you in advance.

Jiang

I don't think a procedure has to have more than one step. It could be a very simple procedure!

The procedure is very simple - we transfer money into your account every month.

The procedure is a little more complicated - first we transfer money into your account, then you transfer a small amount of it back to us.

jiang

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
:-D:-D
Dear emsr2d2,

Thank you so much for your explanation! I had been waiting for two days for you teachers help when I received this explanation. Many thanks!

Jiang
I don't think a procedure has to have more than one step. It could be a very simple procedure!

The procedure is a little more complicated - first we transfer money into your account, then you transfer a small amount of it back to us.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey

But we always see, the word "transaction" is used for such actions done by/through banks. Does the word "procedure" have a broader meaning comprising the word "transaction" in your examples ? If you'd told that the banks have to follow some procedures for these kind of transactions, it'd have been understandable for me. As it is seen in my example, I understand the word "procedure" as a set of rules to be followed.

Thanks for your answer in advance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
But we always see, the word "transaction" is used for such actions done by/through banks. Does the
word "procedure" have a broader meaning comprising the word "transaction" in your examples ? If you'd told that the banks have to follow some procedures for these kind of transactions, it'd have been understandable for me. As it is seen in my example, I understand the word "procedure" as a set of rules to be followed.

Thanks for your answer in advance.

Conversation with bank:

Me : I understand that you're going to put some money from my savings account into my current account every month. Is that right?

Bank : Yes, that's correct, but you then have to transfer 1% of it back.

Me : That seems very strange. I don't understand. How does it work?

Bank : It's a very simple procedure. Each month you will see a transaction on your statement - $5 will have moved from your savings account into your current account. You then transfer 5 cents back manually, to cover the tax. So on your final statement, you will see two transactions - one from your savings account to your current account, and one the other way.

Me : Ah, thanks. Now I understand the procedure!

This is obviously a completely fictitious conversation! The transaction is the specific act of moving the money, but the procedure consists of the step or steps taken in order for the whole thing to be complete.

I would agree that normally a procedure would probably have more than one step, but I wouldn't say that it has to.

Having a mole removed from your skin is a "medical procedure" but it simply involves aiming the laser at the mole. One step only.

One online dictionary gives this definition of procedure: the method of doing something.

Status
Not open for further replies.