[Vocabulary] help me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitinvo

Member Type
Student or Learner
what is the different between aid and assist? (I know they are the synonym, but how to use it in the correct condition?)
thanks,

Leandro-Z

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
First of all, "different" is an adjective, DIFFERENCE is the noun and the right word. You want to find out the difference between aid and assist. You want to know what makes it different from the other.
The difference is that:
-You aid in (doing) sth.
-You assist sth./sb.

I hope it will help you. Best wishes! ;-):up:

hitinvo

Member Type
Student or Learner
First of all, "different" is an adjective, DIFFERENCE is the noun and the right word. You want to find out the difference between aid and assist. You want to know what makes it different from the other.
The difference is that:
-You aid in (doing) sth.
-You assist sth./sb.

I hope it will help you. Best wishes! ;-):up:
could you give me the specific examples?

Leandro-Z

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Okay, let me see...

'Last Saturday, I helped my mother do the housework'

'Could you help me comprehend the general idea?'

The verb pattern is the following...

Somebody helps (sby) do something
Something helps (sby) with something

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can't say I agree.

Let me help you with that.

She helped him with his homework. In exchange, he helped her with the dishes.

I don't think I use "aid" much as a verb.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
To 'assist' means to help; 'assistance' means help. Plain English guides and certain style guides (eg the BBC style guide) suggest using the simple word 'help' and avoiding 'assist/assistance'.

To 'aid' also means to help. As Barb D says, the verb is not that common although we might use it when talking about giving financial or material help ('aid developing countries' but even then 'give aid to ...' is more common). Generally though, use the verb 'help' in preference. I say 'generally' because there are always exceptions. For example, the Oxford English Dictionary gives a secondary meaning of the verb 'aid': 'promote or encourage (something)'. In the example it gives - 'diet and exercise aid healthy skin' - 'help' would not be appropriate.

'aid' as a noun is common where it means help of a practical (financial, material, medical) nature.

Leandro-Z

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Bertietheblue is a British, so consider his/her piece of advice. He/she knows the root of the language, do not glance at an American Opinion because they have a very informal way to speak English.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Bertietheblue is a British, so consider his/her piece of advice. He/she knows the root of the language, do not glance at an American Opinion because they have a very informal way to speak English.

So only people from the UK are qualified to comment on English? I see.

I'm glad you've made your position on this clear. I'll make sure to not taint your knowledge in the future.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
bertietheblue is indeed British but that doesn't mean you should consider his advice. He knows very little about the 'root of the language' (if that means the origins) and is always happy to read the views of Americans, some of whom know a lot more than he does about the English language.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
That's complete crap, Leandro.
It's like saying that you have no clue about Spanish because you don't come from Spain. And you were the first person to give advice on this thread, but I can't find Cipolletti on the UK map. <Confused>

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That's complete crap, Leandro.

That's exactly what I wanted to say but have been watching over my words since I got my wrist slapped a couple of weeks ago. Peace, all!:-D

philadelphia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France

AmE is part of the world nowadays.

AmE is powerfully diffused through movies, sports, politics and business. On one hand, students/learners who are going to take English tests will likely face AmE in some - Eg TOEIC. On the other hand, Barbara teachs a colloquial English to the learners so for them to be familiar with it and above all to not be confused by an common English far more different than in a grammatical book!

I consequently cannot agree on your say. However, I suppose you misunderstood what was going on.

Last edited:

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
bertietheblue is indeed British but that doesn't mean you should consider his advice. He knows very little about the 'root of the language' (if that means the origins) and is always happy to read the views of Americans, some of whom know a lot more than he does about the English language.

I've always thought of you as a female for some reason. Go figure.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've always thought of you as a female for some reason. Go figure.

It's working, then! :-D Since, in my first week or so, I was rightly told off for threatening an online pub brawl and I told someone they were talking nonsense only to discover it was I who was talking nonsense, I've been working hard to suppress the (testosterone-driven?) impulse to say "You're talking crap!"

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It's working, then! :-D Since, in my first week or so, I was rightly told off for threatening an online pub brawl and I told someone they were talking nonsense only to discover it was I who was talking nonsense, I've been working hard to suppress the (testosterone-driven?) impulse to say "You're talking crap!"
Hmm, I've heard this from plenty of "ladies", so I don't think it's a testosterone-dependent phrase.
Wait, maybe I should rephrase that ...

Leandro-Z

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Dear Barb-D,

Please accept my most sincere apologies for talking to you in such rude manner. It is my fault and I would like you to forgive me.

Yous,
Leandro

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you for the apology, but there are many others on this forum who are not from the UK and who still are very knowledgeable about English. It's actually enjoyable for me to learn about the other forms of English spoken around the world. This forum is dedicated to learning "English," not "British English" or "Indian English" or "Australian English" etc. You have obviously worked hard to learn English very well, but do remember that the version you have learned is not the only right answer, and answers that conflict with what you've learned are not necessarily wrong. We look forward to your continued contributions on the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.