Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi everyone!

I am new to this forum and I think this site is good place for me when I am struggling with learning English. I am currently applying a job and I have to fill out an applicaton form. I have no clue how to answer when I see this question:

"What is your proficiency level in English? (written and oral)"

First of all, I want to tell you my background. My native language is cantonese and I moved to Canada since 14 years old. I am quite good to express myself but sometimes people may be confused by the things I have said. I passed all the regular english classes(not ESL) but I am not really good at writing essays. I understand what the teachers say during lectures. However, when I listen to musics, especially rap music, I can't hear all the lyrics clearly(It makes me upset when I don't get the words as I am listening). Usually, I don't have problems making
requests or dealing with issues in daily life. Besides, I don't have too trouble ordering food off menu and reading instrusction manual. As if I don't understand 1 or 2 words in a sentence, I can usually get the meaning of the whole sentence. However, for the letters from the government or bank, sometimes I encounter difficulties to understand them.

I hope this brief paragraph will let you guys understand more about me.

Thanks
Daryl

Leandro-Z

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Daryl.LJob Application Form

Hi everyone!

I am new to this forum and I think this site is a good place for me when I am struggling with learning English. I am currently applying for a job and I have to fill out an applicaton form. I have no clue on how to answer when I see this question:

"This question asks you how much you are knowledgeable and how much you know about the language"

First of all, I want to tell you my background. My native language is cantonese and I moved to Canada since 14 years old. I am quite good to express myself but sometimes people may be confused by [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] things I have said. I passed all the regular English classes(not ESL) but I am not really good at writing essays. I understand what the teachers say during lectures. However, when I listen to music[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE], especially rap music, I can't hear all the lyrics clearly(It makes me upset when I don't get the words [STRIKE]as[/STRIKE]I am listening). Usually, I don't have problems making
requests or dealing with issues in daily life. Besides, I don't have too trouble ordering food off menu and reading instru[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE]ction manuals. [STRIKE]As if [/STRIKE]Although I [STRIKE]don't[/STRIKE] can not understand 1 or 2 words in a sentence, I can usually get the meaning of the whole sentence. However, [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] when it comes to the letters from the government or the bank, sometimes I encounter difficulties [STRIKE]to understand [/STRIKE] in understanding them.

I hope this brief paragraph will let you guys understand more about me.

Thanks
Daryl

Those are the mistakes I have found, best wishes...

Leandro-Z

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Please, let me give you an explanation that I have not put in the previous mail:

"Proficiency" is a noun used to express how much a person is experiences at something.

Thank you and good luck...

Daryl.L

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Thank Gillnetter and Leandro-Z for proofreading my writing. I had read the correction twice. I assume you guys now understand my background and situation. I just figured out an answer regarding the question.

--------------------------------------------------

I have confidence in writing answers, questions and descriptions. Also, I am able to take part in conversations or discussions and express opinions.

This is what I have so far. Is it good enough as an answer? What should I do to make it better? Is it too short?

I am sorry that I am kind of nervous.

Last edited:

Daryl.L

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Not yet resolved. Help please!

Leandro-Z

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Thank Gillnetter and Leandro-Z for proofreading my writing. I had read the correction twice. I assume you guys now understand my background and situation. I just figured out an answer regarding the question.

I [STRIKE]have confidence[/STRIKE] am confident while [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] writing answers, questions and descriptions. Also, I am able to take part [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] into conversations [STRIKE]or[/STRIKE] and discussions [STRIKE]and express[/STRIKE] expressing my own opinions and points of view.

This is what I have so far. Is it good enough as an answer? What should I do to make it better? Is it too short?

I am sorry that I am kind of nervous.

As it is a short question, it implies a short answer...
Best wishes,
Leandro

Status
Not open for further replies.