• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Re: business email

With reference to your inquiry re transshipment charge of CR 5,500 MT from Port Said to Dubai:

Please note that the continuous increase in MGO price nowadays is greatly affecting freight costs. We are expecting freight costs to stabilize by the end of June 2005.

3. jack frost

I would have gone for "we expect" instead of "we are expecting" as it is more formal. Same applies when using " I look forward to hearing" or I`m looking forward to hearing".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

It's wise to be a bit friendlier (more informal) when the customer is complaining.

5. jack frost

I agree in the case of a telephone conversation or perhaps face to face, however, in this case the two parties do not seem to be on informal terms and the seriousness of the complaint is unclear, as are the cultural origins of those involved. To change to an informal approach in written business communication is unwise in this situation, and makes the writer look unprofessional imo.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

I don't believe that the level of formality between simple present and present durative here is as different as you fear, Jack. Any such difference is also ameliorated by the fact that this is an email correspondence.

More to the point, we need to offer advice and correction at an appropriate level for the student, based on his/her submission.

7. jack frost

Sorry but I disagree, the fact that it is an email does not lessen the need for correctness and maintaining the correct level of formality. Perhaps this is less important in a local setting, but one should not underestimate the kind of impression a poorly written email leaves. (no offence to the original poster, who made a good effort).

The formality in an email or letter should be consistent and shouldn`t be changed half way through. The present simple is the most logical choice in this case, given the information we have at hand. The appropriate level for the student is very important, however, the easiest advice is the present simple as it puts him in no danger of developing bad habits and leaves the formality levels to be decided by him; the level of formality is very important in business.