Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Germany
this is not a question, but it's all about complaint. I found my literature very slim, loose,and poor writing. I can just use simple words, same old words i usually use. I saw many meaningful words on work i have read, but were not be able to use in on my own due to short-term memory. My writing also kind of going around bushes. I have to remind myself alot what I am writing, be pertinent. However this still cannot change my slim loose piece of literature review. Or the real solution is my reading skill!!!!!!
just complaints

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree that reading is a good idea.

However, a lot of people are not good writers in English when English is their native language. Do you find it easy to write in your native language?

doingresearch

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Germany
no, it's not easy at all. it is about writing process which is complicated. it needs different skills to construct a good piece of writing.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Before you start to write, always ask yourself:
1. What do I want people to do with what I'm about to write? What should they do, think, feel? How should they respond, act? What will they know afterwards that they don't know now, and how will that influence them?

2. Who will be reading what I write? What are their needs? What is their expected communication style?

Without a good sense of purpose and audience, there is no point in learning whether your verbs agree with your subject or whether you have a misplaced modifier.

doingresearch

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Germany
Thank you for your instructive answer. I realise that. Practically speaking I need a focus in each paragraph I am writing. About the style, i think writing a thesis is something quite specifc register and genre. Im trying to follow some style in literature works I have read.
to what extent you think you can change your writing style or develop it? i have found nothing much improved after having written for 3 years. Or am i retarded :oops:?
Many thanks for sharing again

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are you talking about writing specifically in English, or in your native language?

Good writing is really all about clarity in thinking.

Yes, you can change your style. When I write fiction, you would never know it was written by the same person who writes an article for publication in a technical magazine, nor the same person who would write a letter of recommendation for a friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.