how to answer the question "how are you doing in English?" when I'm not good and bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eureka

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
how to answer the question "how are you doing in English?" when I'm not good and bad

Hi teachers

I wonder how to answer the question "how are you doing in English?" when I'm not good and bad at English.

(I just only know Yes/No responses. I mean, I do want to know the neutral expression.)

Can you tell me the expression describing such a situation appropriately?:lol:

Thanks a million in advance!

albertino

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Re: how to answer the question "how are you doing in English?" when I'm not good and

Hi teachers

I wonder how to answer the question "how are you doing in English?" when I'm not good and bad at English.

(I just only know Yes/No responses. I mean, I do want to know the neutral expression.)

Can you tell me the expression describing such a situation appropriately?:lol:

Thanks a million in advance!
(Not a teacher)
So-so.

crazYgeeK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Re: how to answer the question "how are you doing in English?" when I'm not good and

I understand your question not well.
What do mean 'English' here ? As a subject, a language, or anything else concerning English?
The verb 'do' here needs to be more specific, I think it can be 'write', 'read', 'learn', 'teach'...there are too many actions can be implied by 'do'
If the asker want to know all how you do in English, the answer may be various, such as I read English well but not for writing
An English starter at all

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

What do mean 'English' here ? As a subject, a language, or anything else concerning English?
The verb 'do' here needs to be more specific, I think it can be 'write', 'read', 'learn', 'teach'...there are too many actions can be implied by 'do'
If the asker want to know all how you do in English, the answer may be various, such as I read English well but not for writing
An English starter at all

"How are you doing in/with/at...?" is a general question. If you want to give a general answer, you can say:

I'm not doing too badly.
I'm doing OK.

The question doesn't need to be more specific, but you may wish to make your answer more specific:

Well, I'm pretty good at written English but not as good when speaking.
My reading comprehension is good but I have problems with grammar.

Many other combinations are possible, obviously.

Last edited:

Nightmare85

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany

Sorry for the off-topic, but I've just seen this:

My first thought:
It's wrong and has to be,
I don't understand your question well.

However, my second thought says it's already right because not belongs to well.
I not understand your question. :cross:
I understand your question not. :cross:
I don't understand your question well. :tick:
I understand your question not well. :?:

So, is number 4 correct or not?
(I still have the feeling it's not correct...)

Cheers!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Sorry for the off-topic, but I've just seen this:

My first thought:
It's wrong and has to be,
I don't understand your question well.

However, my second thought says it's already right because not belongs to well.
I not understand your question. :cross:
I understand your question not. :cross:
I don't understand your question well. :tick:
I understand your question not well. :?:

So, is number 4 correct or not?
(I still have the feeling it's not correct...)

Cheers!

Sentence 4 is not correct. You could say "I understand your question badly" or "I understood your question only a little", though both of those sound rather strange.

However, with "well", we construct it as if the question had been "Did you understand my question well?" The answer would therefore be either "Yes, I understood it well" or "No, I didn't understand it well".

I should note that normally, we would simply ask "Did you understand the question?" The answer could still be "Yes, very well" or "No, I didn't understand it well at all."

tungsam

Member Type
Student or Learner

sorry..can i know how to start a new thread.help needed..I'm a newbie:)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

sorry..can i know how to start a new thread.help needed..I'm a newbie:)

Go to the "Ask a Teacher" main page, scroll down a little until you find the line which also has the list of page numbers. On the left, is a lozenge-shaped button marked "New Thread".

crazYgeeK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam

Thank you emsr2d2, Could you please answer me one more question, can I say 'I understand your question well not at all'? Thank you, wish more people like you joining this forum

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Thank you emsr2d2, Could you please answer me one more question, can I say 'I understand your question well not at all'? Thank you, wish more people like you joining this forum

You can't say "I understand your question well not at all". Again, if you want to answer in the negative, it should start "I don't/didn't understand..."

I didn't understand your question well at all = I understood your question a little but not completely.
I don't understand your question at all = I don't understand a word of it!

tungsam

Member Type
Student or Learner

thx.I've started a new thread...Can u have a look on my thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.