[Vocabulary] Fair Enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

sh.hazeri

Member Type
Student or Learner
- When can we use "Fair enough" and why we do not say "OK" or "Allright" ... ?

Last edited:

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Re: Fait Enough

***neither a teacher nor a native-speaker***

It mostly means that you've found an explanation plausible.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Exactly as stated above by euncu.

You might not like it or agree with it, but it's plausible.

Score_Under

Member Type
Other
- When can we use "Fair enough" and why we do not say "OK" or "Allright" ... ?
In addition to the definitions previously mentioned, "fair enough" can also be used to mean "fine; have it your way" (if you are trying to persuade somebody or show them a better way to get something done and they won't listen).

On a slightly unrelated note, I've found that a lot of native speakers make this mistake: It's "all right", not "allright" and definitely not "alright". Same goes for "never mind" and "a lot" - all of them are made up of two words.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
In addition to the definitions previously mentioned, "fair enough" can also be used to mean "fine; have it your way" (if you are trying to persuade somebody or show them a better way to get something done and they won't listen).

On a slightly unrelated note, I've found that a lot of native speakers make this mistake: It's "all right", not "allright" and definitely not "alright". Same goes for "never mind" and "a lot" - all of them are made up of two words.
In Australia, "fair enough" is widely and commonly used to mean "OK, that's an acceptable explanation/plan/decision".

As far as the objection to "alright", I don't agree, and nor do the following dictionaries:
Definition of alright adjective/adverb/exclamation from Cambridge Dictionary Online: Free English Dictionary and Thesaurus
Alright - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Alright | Define Alright at Dictionary.com

Specifically, see the usage note on the latter.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In Australia, "fair enough" is widely and commonly used to mean "OK, that's an acceptable explanation/plan/decision". In BrEng too.

As far as the objection to "alright", I don't agree, and nor do the following dictionaries:
Definition of alright adjective/adverb/exclamation from Cambridge Dictionary Online: Free English Dictionary and Thesaurus
Alright - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Alright | Define Alright at Dictionary.com

nor the Oxford English Dictionary (1998 edn):

"There is no logical reason for insisting on 'all right' as two words, when other single-word forms such as 'altogether' have long been accepted. Nevertheless, it is still considered by many people to be unacceptable in formal writing."

I think, however, there is a preference for 'all right' in most BrEng style guides. Here's the Guardian:

"'all right' is right, 'alright' is not all right (but note the Who song, much loved by generations of headline writers, was The Kids are Alright)"

and the Times:

"all right never alright".

Specifically, see the usage note on the latter.

Bertie

Status
Not open for further replies.