Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Can we omit "and I" before the second treat in the following one?
There is no surgical patient I cannot treat competently , treat just as well or better than other surgeon.Thanks a lot!

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
There is no surgical patient I cannot treat competently ,[STRIKE]treat just[/STRIKE] as well as, or better than any other surgeon.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Can we omit "and I" before the second treat in the following one?
There is no surgical patient I cannot treat competently , treat just as well or better than other surgeon.Thanks a lot!
There is no "and I" to omit before the second "treat".
You could write:
There is no surgical patient I cannot treat competently, and treat just as well or better than any other surgeon.
There is no surgical patient I cannot treat competently and just as well or better than any other surgeon. (Best)
On the other hand, the sentence would be wrong if you inserted "and I":
There is no surgical patient I cannot treat competently, and I treat just as well or better than any other surgeon. Wrong!.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Shouldn't be "who(m)" between "patient" and "I" ?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Shouldn't be "who(m)" between "patient" and "I" ?
This is similar to leaving out "that" in a subordinate clause.
There is an implied "whom" there.

"The girl I went out with last night is very pretty." Most common.
"The girl who I went out with last night ..." Common enough.
"The girl with whom I went out last night ..." Rare.
"The girl whom I went out with last night ..." Very rare, though technically correct.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
There is no "and I" to omit before the second "treat".
You could write:
There is no surgical patient I cannot treat competently, and treat just as well or better than any other surgeon.
There is no surgical patient I cannot treat competently and just as well or better than any other surgeon. (Best)
On the other hand, the sentence would be wrong if you inserted "and I":
There is no surgical patient I cannot treat competently, and I treat just as well or better than any other surgeon. Wrong!.
==============================================
[FONT=&#23435]Thank you for yor correction.Iagree with you.But today I have met a sentence:[/FONT][FONT=&#23435]It was time for her to come out, charge out,into what they called society.[/FONT][FONT=&#23435]from which I think the last one I asked is correct.There is no need to add [/FONT][FONT=&#23435]and[/FONT][FONT=&#23435] before the second treat.What do you think of my new view?Many thanks![/FONT]

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
==============================================
[FONT=&#23435]Thank you for yor correction.Iagree with you.But today I have met a sentence:[/FONT][FONT=&#23435]It was time for her to come out, charge out,into what they called society.[/FONT][FONT=&#23435]from which I think the last one I asked is correct.There is no need to add [/FONT][FONT=&#23435]and[/FONT][FONT=&#23435] before the second treat.What do you think of my new view?Many thanks![/FONT]
Your amended view in which you think this is OK is far more palatable than the view in your last post, in which you knew it was OK.
By the way, you can delete posts if you happen to post them twice, or change your mind. Just look for the delete button on the bottom right hand corner.

In any case, the sentence in this post is passable. You can't infer from that that your original sentence is OK. To be safe, you should not join clauses with a comma.

About your point of view that coming across a sentence on the Internet is proof of anything at all - it's ridiculous.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Your amended view in which you think this is OK is far more palatable than the view in your last post, in which you knew it was OK.
By the way, you can delete posts if you happen to post them twice, or change your mind. Just look for the delete button on the bottom right hand corner.

In any case, the sentence in this post is passable. You can't infer from that that your original sentence is OK. To be safe, you should not join clauses with a comma.

About your point of view that coming across a sentence on the Internet is proof of anything at all - it's ridiculous.
=====================
I am deeply moved by your spirit of helping others.As a chinese saying goes:"You are never tired of teaching others".
The first one,"There is no surgical patient I cannot treat competently , treat just as well or better than other surgeon."from a Chinese magazine.The second one,"it was time for her to come out, charge out, into what they called society."from J.D Salinger,a modern American writer.
According to your explain,you added "and " before the second "treat", for the first one,then for the second one , we can put "or" before "charge ".In my eyes, both and and or are conjunctions and the elements they join are alike,too .This shows the fact is common.So I think both of them , one without and , one without or ,are good Engish.Do you agree with me now?Or in short,is the first sentence ok?Is the second sentence ok?Please directly teach!I don't want you to correct them.Thanks a lot!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
=====================
I am deeply moved by your spirit of helping others.As a chinese saying goes:"You are never tired of teaching others".
The first one,"There is no surgical patient I cannot treat competently , treat just as well or better than other surgeon."from a Chinese magazine.The second one,"it was time for her to come out, charge out, into what they called society."from J.D Salinger,a modern American writer.
According to your explain,you added "and " before the second "treat", for the first one,then for the second one , we can put "or" before "charge ".In my eyes, both and and or are conjunctions and the elements they join are alike,too .This shows the fact is common.So I think both of them , one without and , one without or ,are good Engish.Do you agree with me now?Or in short,is the first sentence ok?Is the second sentence ok?Please directly teach!I don't want you to correct them.Thanks a lot!
I've already said that the Chinese sentence should be rephrased and sentence by Salinger is passable.
There are other considerations.
Did the Chinese surgeon write this, or is this a report of his speech? If the latter, then the sentence should quote him faithfully. It is not uncommon for people to amend what they have said, which occurs in both of these sentences. That is a similarity, as you say.
In Salinger's case, it's from a novel, and he writes in a style that uses grammar in a less than strict way. James Joyce, a famous Irish author, wrote a very important novel in which the final chapter had no punctuation at all. If you posted a string from that chapter, I would say it was wrong, ungrammatical. And it would be. But in the context of an experimental novel, it's not for me to say that he should have changed it.
So it's important to know the context in which the sentences occur.
The sentence you originally wrote was incorrect grammatically, so it was corrected by two of us. But if it is a direct quotation of the Chinese surgeon, it should either not be changed, or it should be reported as "There is no surgical patient I cannot treat competently, [and] treat just as well or better than other surgeon."
Does that make it clearer?

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I've already said that the Chinese sentence should be rephrased and sentence by Salinger is passable.
There are other considerations.
Did the Chinese surgeon write this, or is this a report of his speech? If the latter, then the sentence should quote him faithfully. It is not uncommon for people to amend what they have said, which occurs in both of these sentences. That is a similarity, as you say.
In Salinger's case, it's from a novel, and he writes in a style that uses grammar in a less than strict way. James Joyce, a famous Irish author, wrote a very important novel in which the final chapter had no punctuation at all. If you posted a string from that chapter, I would say it was wrong, ungrammatical. And it would be. But in the context of an experimental novel, it's not for me to say that he should have changed it.
So it's important to know the context in which the sentences occur.
The sentence you originally wrote was incorrect grammatically, so it was corrected by two of us. But if it is a direct quotation of the Chinese surgeon, it should either not be changed, or it should be reported as "There is no surgical patient I cannot treat competently, [and] treat just as well or better than other surgeon."
Does that make it clearer?
============================================
Very good , thank you sincerely!

Status
Not open for further replies.