Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When you write 'italics added' (or 'bold added for emphasis' or similar) after quoted text,

must it be in square brackets?

And where should it be inserted:

xxx." [italics added] OR
xxx [italics added]."

and if quote marks are before the full-stop (eg with quoted text but not whole sentences):

xxx" [italics added]. OR
xxx". [italics added]

?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
As it's not part of the text directly, I would put it outside the punctuation.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As it's not part of the text directly, I would put it outside the punctuation.

Thanks. Maybe you are right, but I don't think for the reason you give. It is after all sometimes legitimate to insert square bracketed text in a direct quote, for example if you are:

-making an authorial comment, eg inserting a name after a pronoun to make it clear to the reader who is being referred to or "[sic]" after a misspelling to make clear that the misspelling was in the original quote and is not a typo
-altering the case of the first letter of a quote, eg if the quote is a sentence and so opens with a capital letter (eg "The ...") but you only use part of the quote and not the full sentence, you might change the first letter to lower case ( "[t]he ...").

To me "[italics added]" is an authorial comment so I can see grounds for including it within the quotes especially if the closing quote marks come after a full-stop - to me it doesn't look right for "[italics added]" to stand in isolation suspended from the rules of punctuation.

But as I said, you may be right and it should always come after the quotes. I simply don't know and cannot find a reliable source that will give me a definitive answer (if there is one - maybe it's just a question of preference/which style guide you read).

Status
Not open for further replies.