Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
Results 21 to 30 of 35
  1. VIP Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,386
    #21

    Re: Hello, Teachers! Please help me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry12345 View Post
    Hello, Harry.

    (1) I am sorry that you still do not understand.

    (2) I think that you understand No. 3. Am I correct?

    (a) In English, you ALWAYS say: 80 percent OF the students are doing homework. You always use the word "of":

    100 percent of the students are studying English.
    Only 5 percent of the students have cars.

    I think you understand. That is an easy rule to remember: use "OF."

    (3) In countries where people speak English as a first language, there are two answers to No. l. You live in a country where English is NOT the first language. So here is the rule that most teachers (like yours) teach:

    When a sentence begins with words like "I think," FORGET those words!!!

    Just think of the word "not."

    (I do) not (think) it will rain, will it? = not will rain, will it?

    Let's do some others:

    (I do) not (think) she can speak Spanish, can she? = not can speak Spanish, can she?

    (I do) not (think) it is Sunday, is it? = not is Sunday, is it?

    *****

    Try to answer these questions:

    (a) I do not think he likes candy, ____ _____?

    (b) I do not think the children will come, _____ _____?

    (c) I do not think it was hot yesterday, _____ _____?

    *****

    The answers:

    (a) does he? (not likes candy -- does he)
    (b) will they? (not will come -- will they)
    (c) was it? (not was hot -- was it)

    ***** Thank you *****

  2. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 1,110
    #22

    Re: Hello, Teachers! Please help me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare85 View Post
    Would you really say, "Women is my weak point"?
    Well, I have a thing about women with long legs and blonde hair if that is what you mean.

    Women are my weak point.
    Women is my weak point.
    They are my weak point.

    My weak point is women.

    Two days is enough.
    They are enough
    That is enough.

    Two days - are - enough.
    Plural - are - adjective.
    That reasoning would be fine if the number of verbs would be governed solely by grammatical concord. Notional concord -- rings a bell?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare85 View Post
    I'm sorry, corum, but this is my point of view.
    Last edited by corum; 18-Jun-2010 at 18:33.

  3. Nightmare85's Avatar
    Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,327
    #23

    Re: Hello, Teachers! Please help me.

    corum, good post, but you cheated a bit
    You ignored the question:
    Two women are my weak point.
    I know it sounds strange, but if you accept:
    Women are my weak point,
    you should accept the other sentence too.

    I don't need three women because two women are already enough.
    I have two women, and this is enough.
    (Enough = the fact that I have two women.)
    I have two women, and they are enough.

    (Enough = the two women.)

    Cheers!


  4. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 1,110
    #24

    Re: Hello, Teachers! Please help me.

    but you cheated a bit

    Smoke and mirrors is my strongest weapon in my argumentation. Some clever sleight of hand and a bit of nip and tuck here and there.

    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...ke-and-mirrors
    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...leight-of-hand
    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...ip-and-tuck__1

    Nightmare, I may be a bit slow but I think I am losing you. What is the question I have to answer now?

  5. Nightmare85's Avatar
    Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,327
    #25

    Re: Hello, Teachers! Please help me.

    Quote Originally Posted by corum View Post
    Nightmare, I may be a bit slow but I think I am losing you. What is the question I have to answer now?
    No problem, corum.
    I'm 14 years younger
    (No offense )

    You say:
    Women are my weak point.
    Do you also agree that these two sentences are correct :
    Two women are my weak point.
    I don't need three women because two women are already enough.
    (Yes, I know that their sense isn't the best, but let's focus on grammatic )

    And now the comparison:
    Two women are enough.
    Two days are enough.


    Conclusion:
    I don't see a reason to say:
    Two days is enough. ()

    Cheers!

  6. manou.glamour's Avatar

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 12
    #26

    Re: Hello, Teachers! Please help me.

    1- when we have a question tag and the first verb is in sentence is in a negative form the second verb will be in afirmative, in this case we are asking about opinion. so the right answer is B

    2- B ; are always with plural.

    3- B wih students

  7. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 1,110
    #27

    Re: Hello, Teachers! Please help me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare85 View Post
    No problem, corum.
    I'm 14 years younger
    (No offense )
    pssst!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare85 View Post
    You say:
    Women are my weak point. Yes.
    Do you also agree that these two sentences are correct :
    Two women are my weak point. Yes.
    [COLOR=Black][COLOR=Blue]I don't need three women because two women are already enough.
    (Yes, I know that their sense isn't the best, but let's focus on grammatic )

    And now the comparison:
    Two women are enough.
    Two days are enough.


    Conclusion:
    I don't see a reason to say:
    Two days is enough. ()
    Two women are my weak point. Who is your weak point? They.
    Two women is enough. That is enough, two women.

    The same noun phrase can have different notional values, depending on context.


  8. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 1,110
    #28

    Re: Hello, Teachers! Please help me.

    Tom and Jerry is my weak spot. It is cool -- the cartoon
    Tom and Jerry are my weak spot. They are cool. -- the two cartoon figures

  9. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 1,110
    #29

    Re: Hello, Teachers! Please help me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare85 View Post
    don't need three women because two women are already enough.
    While I was watching England vs. Algeria on TV, I was not particularly amazed by the quality of football the two teams represented. This WC is really s.it, IMO. So I began thinking and this is what I "managed" to come up with:

    'enough' means adequate in terms of quantity. When you say 'two women are', the choice of plural verb form implies that you refer to two distinct individuals and not a single quantity. As 'two women' is not used in a sense that is implying quantity, it cannot be described in a SVC structure by an adjective that relates to quantity.

    Let me quote again Michael Swan, a widely-acclaimed descriptive grammarian:

    PEU, 527: amounts and quantities: that five pounds

    When we talk about amounts and quantities we usually use singular determiners, verbs, and pronouns, even if the noun is plural.

    Twenty miles is a long way to walk.
    We have got five liters of petrol left. That is not enough.
    Last edited by corum; 18-Jun-2010 at 21:37.

  10. Nightmare85's Avatar
    Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,327
    #30

    Re: Hello, Teachers! Please help me.

    What is my weak point?
    If we follow that logic, we should always stick to is.
    So why, "Women are my weak point" then?

    I agree that we wouldn't ask:
    What are my weak point?

    Why not:
    Two women is/are enough. What is enough? They.

    Well, it's not easy and I will try to think about it.
    (For some days.)

    P.S:
    an SVC structure

    Cheers!

Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •