Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hello, I would like some advices on the e-mail im planning to send to an University, as it's my first contact I think it was a good idea to post it here for some help. I decided to introduce myself in the end but I don't know if it will sound rude. In fact, I wanted the e-email to be straight forward. Thanks.

Hello,

I'm interested in taking the MSc in Computer Science. I have some questions that I would like to clarify if possible.

What is the tuition fee for the course?

Since it's an online programme can I schedule my studies, classes and contacts with the University or do I have it pre-scheduled by the University?

When does the course start and what is the deadline to send the documentation?

Breafly introducing myself, I am [nationality], living in the city of [city]. I hold a Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering and currently I work as [position] for a financial institution.

Thanks in advance.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello, I would like some advices on the e-mail im planning to send to an University, as it's my first contact I think it was a good idea to post it here for some help. I decided to introduce myself in the end but I don't know if it will sound rude. In fact, I wanted the e-email to be straight forward. Thanks.

Hello,

I'm interested in taking the MSc in Computer Science. I have some questions that I would like to clarify if possible.

What is the tuition fee for the course?

Since it's an online programme can I schedule my studies, classes and contacts with the University or do I have it pre-scheduled by the University?

When does the course start and what is the deadline to send the documentation?

Breafly introducing myself, I am [nationality], living in the city of [city]. I hold a Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering and currently I work as [position] for a financial institution.

Thanks in advance.

Some suggestions. I'm sure there are other suggestions that you might receive.

First, do some homework. Determine the name/position/title of the person in charge of admissions. Second, include some statements that indicate you are familiar with the university and its standing in the country in which it is located. Third, certainly, you should include your name. Fourth, if the university is in your country use "snail mail" not e-mail. Fifth, consider the following changes to your request.

Dear (Mr./Ms./Senor/Senora etc. Name)

I'm interested in obtaining some specific information about your MSc in Computer Science. [STRIKE]I have some questions that I would like to clarify if possible.[/STRIKE]

First, what is the tuition fee for the course?

Second, since it's an online programme, can I establish my own schedule, [STRIKE]my [/STRIKE][STRIKE]studies,[/STRIKE] classes and contacts with the University or [STRIKE]do I have it [/STRIKE]are they pre-scheduled by the University?

Third, when does the course start and what is the deadline to [STRIKE]send[/STRIKE]submit application and other [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] documentation?

[STRIKE]Briefly[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]introducing myself[/STRIKE]As a brief introduction, I am [nationality], living in the city of [city]. I hold a Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering and currently I work as [position] for a financial institution (suggest you name the institution if it is widely known and respected).

Thank you for your consideration and I look forward to your response. You may respond by e-mail if more convenient.

Sincerely yours,
(Name)
(Address)
(Telephone/E-mail)

Last edited:

anreak

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
billmcd, thank you so much for your inputs. ;)

As you mentioned it, what if I have nothing more than an online form or a general email like "department AT university DOT com", what would be better than "Hello" to start an e-mail?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If in English, "Dear Sir or Madam:" would be best.

Status
Not open for further replies.