Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,

What's the right adverb for an event or phenomanon that happens (say through the passage of time) in such a way that it's hard to notice? A student has used "...uncoscuous effects of computer..."...

Can we use inconspicuously here? Thanks...

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
invisible, unnoticeable, undetectable, undiscernible, inconspicuous effects

imperceptible

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
subliminal

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
:up:
latent?

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary

admiral

Member Type
Academic
I think you're looking for an adjective to describe the mentioned "effects of computer..." but it is difficult to determine given such a short piece of a phrase in which to contextualize your question.

"subtle effects of computer..." could work.

"subconscious effects of computer..." could work

I think you are correct in your assessment that "unconscious effects of computer..." does not work.

Again, more of the text (a line or two) might provide the right context for those attempting to find the appropriate word to convey the exact meaning your student wishes to communicate.

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Thanks. Could this adj be used with a noun like 'presence'?

I am not here to elicit thanks *from* members in return for my help offerings, not by a long chalk! However, what Mehrgan did in this thread is very much insulting to me and I am going to explain why. Raymott and I, we both offered our opinions to the original poster. I proposed eight synonyms and Ray proposed one synonym. When Mehrgan pressed Ray's thank-you button but not mine, he did two things:

1. He expressed his appreciation towards Ray's help offering.
2. He expressed that my propositions are not worthy of his appreciation.

When I put in my effort and devote my time in good faith to someone who needs help, the least thing that I should expect in return is #2. I hope everyone with an IQ over 20 agrees with me on this one.
Or is he just another one of the native maniacs who are under the delusion that only natives can be right? Any way I slice the story, Mehrgan did a nasty thing, for which he should apologize. Shame on you, little buddy!

EDIT: *from*

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Firstly, I think a bit more context would help- are these the effects computers have on people or inside the computer? I am honestly not too sure about subliminal because the dictionary definition of the word works, but it has negative associations to many from its association with advertising. I would be tempted, without further context, to use something like barely discernible.

On the question raised by Corum's post about native/non-native knowledge, there are 'native maniacs' here who demand native speakers' opinions and ignore non-native speakers. I have seen 'any native speakers' posted after a completely correct answer, and this is annoying. However, I can't say that this is the case here and I do think that the reaction here has been expressed in a bit of an OTT manner. It might be better to move back onto the question in hand and look at the various possibilities posted and other to come.

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
On the question raised by Corum's post about native/non-native knowledge, there are 'native maniacs' here who demand native speakers' opinions and ignore non-native speakers.

That is okay, as long as their ignorance is conducted in a civilized fashion. What would happen if Mehrgan pressed my thank-you button too? WW 3 would have broken out? We can do the ignorance latently, in an unnoticable manner. I think this takes us to the art of social tact that I am the least entitled to lecture you about, given my several bans at UE.

However, I can't say that this is the case here and I do think that the reaction here has been expressed in a bit of an OTT manner. It might be better to move back onto the question in hand and look at the various possibilities posted and other to come.

Do you mean that all my synonyms are useless? Even if you do, I doubt you are serious. When you are drowning and a hand reaches out, does it matter whose hand is it?

I do think that the reaction here has been expressed in a bit of an OTT manner.

You disappoint me.

It might be better to move back onto the question in hand and look at the various possibilities posted and other to come.

Rest assured I will stay out. :)

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I am not here to elicit thanks *from* members in return for my help offerings, not by a long chalk! However, what Mehrgan did in this thread is very much insulting to me and I am going to explain why. Raymott and I, we both offered our opinions to the original poster. I proposed eight synonyms and Ray proposed one synonym. When Mehrgan pressed Ray's thank-you button but not mine, he did two things:

1. He expressed his appreciation towards Ray's help offering.
2. He expressed that my propositions are not worthy of his appreciation.

When I put in my effort and devote my time in good faith to someone who needs help, the least thing that I should expect in return is #2. I hope everyone with an IQ over 20 agrees with me on this one.
Or is he just another one of the native maniacs who are under the delusion that only natives can be right? Any way I slice the story, Mehrgan did a nasty thing, for which he should apologize. Shame on you, little buddy!

EDIT: *from*

Dear Corum,
Thanks to you for the time you spent replying to my post. In many occasions I've received help from dear Raymott, and I had the feeling I knew him/her more.
One thing that has left me totally confused is the way you have chosen to criticise me! "nasty"?!!!! "apologise?!!!"

I didn't mean what I did, but sure you didn't do the right thing!

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
You were tactless when you offended me and you well deserved my tongue lashing. That my story and I am sticking to it. Period.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Just because I haven't seen this mentioned already (and if it was, and I missed it, I apologize) you are looking for an adjective, not an adverb.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Just because I haven't seen this mentioned already (and if it was, and I missed it, I apologize) you are looking for an adjective, not an adverb.

Oh, yes! :oops: I don't remember why I'd put "adverb"! Thanks for considering the post.

Best...

Status
Not open for further replies.