[General] A paragraph I found on internet. Run-on sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daryl.L

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I found this paragraph related to cover letter .

I am a senior at the State University interested in interviewing for a job as a Marketing Assistant with ABCD. I believe that ABCD has the ideal culture in which to pursue my goal of becoming an innovative and responsible arts administrator and contributing to the ABCD company's outstanding record as a center for exhibition and discussion of contemporary art and culture.

Does this paragraph have any run-on sentence? I usually find long sentence difficult to understand. I can't get the meaning. Can somebody please help me to overcome shortcoming?

admiral

Member Type
Academic
This paragraph is awkwardly written...especially the second sentence.

First, the writer refers to "goal" in the singular and then refers to a) "becoming an innovative and responsible arts administrator" and b) "contributing..." etc. It would be more correct to say "goals".

Also it would be better to simply start a new sentence for the "contributing" part of the paragraph as in "I look forward to the opportunity to contribute to..."

Also, in your question, you should pluralize the word "sentence" to "sentences" as in "Does this paragraph have any run-on sentences?" and "I usually find long sentences difficult to understand."

Best of luck with ABCD.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's long but but it's not a run-on sentence- it is all connected up.

Daryl.L

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Thanks admiral for breaking down the sentence. But what is the method to understand long sentences when I encounter difficulties?

Status
Not open for further replies.