[Grammar] make it to work ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitehawke

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi, teachers !

If you got up this morning and started comtemplating the shape of your toothbrush or questioning the meaning of toast, you probably would not make it to work.

1. What does "make it to work" above mean exactly?
It means "go to work" ? I don't know the meaning apparently.

2. what differnces of meaning are there between "make it to work" and "make it work"?

3. How can "make it to work" be explained grammatically ?
"To work" is Infinitive or simply Prep + Noun ? If it is Infinitve, was it used as Noun or Adverb ?

Always Thanks !

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi, teachers !

If you got up this morning and started comtemplating the shape of your toothbrush or questioning the meaning of toast, you probably would not make it to work.

1. What does "make it to work" above mean exactly?
It means "go to work" ? I don't know the meaning apparently.

2. what differnces of meaning are there between "make it to work" and "make it work"?

3. How can "make it to work" be explained grammatically ?
"To work" is Infinitive or simply Prep + Noun ? If it is Infinitve, was it used as Noun or Adverb ?

Always Thanks !

In this context, "make it to work" simply means "arrive at work".
To "make it" means to arrive or to go (I made it to the office just 2 minutes before my boss / Did you make it to the football match? / Are you going to make it to Peter's birthday party on Saturday night? )

So, if you are running around in the morning contemplating your toothbrush (?), or you can't find your shoes or your car keys, you might say "Oh no, I am never going to make it to work!" or "I'm not going to make it to work on time!"

"To make it work" is completely different. In this context, "make it" means "make something happen" and "work" is "to function".

My watch is broken. I took it to the repair shop and said "Can you make it work?" In this context, I meant "Can you repair it?" so "Can you make it so that it works again please?"

It can also mean that you think that something can be done.

"I want one hundred doves released at the end of my birthday party."
"That's ridiculous. Where will we find one hundred doves?"
"One of my friends owns a dove farm."
"And where would we keep them?"
"One of my other friends has a very big cage we could put them in."
"Hmm, OK, maybe we can make it work."

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Doesn't "make it to" mean something like "manage to get to/arrive at" instead of simply "arrive at"? I always thought so.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Doesn't "make it to" mean something like "manage to get to/arrive at" instead of simply "arrive at"? I always thought so.

Yes, it can! If I said "I only just made it" then I arrived just in time, with minutes/seconds to spare. But I might also say "I made it to work at 8am but no-one else was there!" Admittedly, I'm just as likely to simply say "I got to work at 8am..."

Though certainly the question "Did you make it to the football match?" would simply mean (to me) "Did you go..." with no importance attached to whether or not the person arrived early/in time/late.

EhabIsaac

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Palestinian Territory
Current Location
Palestinian Territory
Make it work = to make something work.
Make it to work = To arrive at work

For example at Make it work :

Hey, Can you make the computer work ? " the computer refers to it "

Yes, I can.

For e.g. at MAke it to work :

Can you make it to work ?

Yes, I already made it to work.

I hope you understood from these examples :)

Status
Not open for further replies.