exceptable and addable

Status
Not open for further replies.

merry 07

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hey, guys,

I got a question about ''exceptable'' and ''addable'' if they are usable since they are not found in the dictionary.

please. shed a light on the confusion holding me back from using them.

Thank you.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If they are not in the dictionary they don't exist.

Find alternatives.

Rover

chester_100

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Are sure about the spelling: maybe you mean expectable.
Addable is good.
Use a better dictionary!

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Addable is good.
Use a better dictionary!

How much better? I'm using The New Oxford English Dictionary and 'addable' is not in there. I know the word exists - well, actually, I'll confess and say I wasn't totally sure whether the word existed until I checked. Even so, can you give an example of its use? I only ever see 'can be added' (and then very rarely) in the financial statements I proofread.

Oh, and another possibility for 'exceptable': 'acceptable'

elhithebest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Last edited:

chester_100

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
How much better? I'm using The New Oxford English Dictionary and 'addable' is not in there. I know the word exists - well, actually, I'll confess and say I wasn't totally sure whether the word existed until I checked. Even so, can you give an example of its use? I only ever see 'can be added' (and then very rarely) in the financial statements I proofread.

Why don't you try Merriam-Webster's dictionary or Encatra, the miracle.
Where I work, Oxford is only recommended for ...
Please Google it to find about 39,100 results.
Bye,

~Mav~

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
How much better? I'm using The New Oxford English Dictionary and 'addable' is not in there.
With all due respect, just because a word cannot be found in a dictionary, does it necessarily mean it cannot exist? ;-) Unfortunately I am not a native English speaker :cry: , but "addable" seems absolutely plausible to me. I did a search, and my initial thought proved to be right:

Merriam-Webster Dictionary : "addable "

Addable is also mentioned in TheFreeDictionary

I should stress that I'm not questioning your opinion. :) I only wanted to say that dictionaries are not the only sources; one can use his/her creativity.

Even so, can you give an example of its use?
How about "addable value(s)"? Granted, it doesn't sound too natural even to me, but I think it's acceptable.

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States

What about the 20 volume Oxford English Dictionary ?
Or their online version ?
(I didn't check, I don't have access to it, do you?)

If addable is to mean "which can be added" it is very easy to find examples:
1- "In order to be addable, two matrices must have the same number of columns and rows."
2 - "Be careful when adding series of real numbers, namely, if they do not converge they are not addable."

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I know the word exists - well, actually, I'll confess and say I wasn't totally sure whether the word existed until I checked.

That's me, folks! There's no need to tell me the word exists when I acknowledged that it does in my first post. Yes, I looked at more than one dictionary online and indeed it was there. The point I was making was, it is very rarely used and a meagre 39,100 hits on google illustrate this.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
If they are not in the dictionary they don't exist.
That might be good advice for learners, and a good rule of thumb for all of us. But it's not actually true.

Here's how dictionaries are made. Lexicographers go into the community and find out what words are being used. If the usage of a certain word passes their editorial criteria, it goes into the dictionary.
So, words must exist before they appear in a dictionary.

Also, the correct definition of "the dictionary" is problematic, as we've seen.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That might be good advice for learners, and a good rule of thumb for all of us. But it's not actually true.

Here's how dictionaries are made. Lexicographers go into the community and find out what words are being used. If the usage of a certain word passes their editorial criteria, it goes into the dictionary.

I imagine the time lag between a word first coming into usage and then entering the dictionary can sometimes be years. First, it has to come into usage, then it has to be accepted by the community within which it is used, then accepted by a wider community before it comes to the attention of the dictionary's compilers. There is then the process by which the word gets recognised as an acceptable neologism, and even after that, you will have to wait until the next edition of the dictionary before the word gets an entry.

To go back to 'addable': I think my comment that it is rarely used might be misleading in that it suggests it should be avoided. However, many words are rarely used but are no less usable; it is more the case that the context in which they are used is rare. I suggest that this is partly the case with 'addable', which I believe is scarcely used outside the field mathematics, and that is why neither Rover nor I immediately recognised it. But I also maintain that, even where it is used, you'd be more likely to rephrase, eg 'X can be added to Y' rather than 'X and Y are addable'.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

That's a fair point well made, Raymott.

I stand corrected.

Rover:oops:

Editors4Writers

Member Type
English Teacher
Addable can function as an adjective, intransitive verb, and verb. It's fine. I've heard it throughout my educational career, so it doesn't strike me as peculiar.

As for the word exceptable...do you mean, acceptable? I tried to decipher your intended meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.