Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
hi
my teacher told us the other day that HAVE GOT is not longer used in English, after someone asked which was the real difference between HAVE and HAVE GOT. Is it true because I´ve heard this in many movies and in shows. If possible tell me everything possible about it.

the real dif., usage, everything!

Thanks a lot:)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"I've got" is alive and well in American English.

Others will tell you its status in other parts of the world.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
hi
my teacher told us the other day that HAVE GOT is not longer used in English, after someone asked which was the real difference between HAVE and HAVE GOT. Is it true because I´ve heard this in many movies and in shows. If possible tell me everything possible about it.

You must note that 'have' is a primary verb, so it functions both as an auxiliary(helping) as well as a main verb.
I have a car. (main verb, present simple-Possession)
You can also say:
I have got a car. (helping verb, present perfect- possession)
Of course, Both 'Have' and 'Have got' can be used for possession grammatically but ‘have got’ is rarely used to show possession.
The expression ‘have got’ is mostly used idiomatically to show ‘obligation’ or necessity; as:
I have got to do my homework.(obligation)
Drivers have got to get a license to drive a car. (necessity)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
What dialect of English are you describing?

I have already said that the use of ‘have got’ to show possession is grammatically correct but when the same is possible with ‘have’ alone, why go for more words. However, I would like to replace the word ‘rarely’ with ‘less frequently’, which I think makes my intention clear.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
hi

"have got" is used all the time in English. It's far more common than "have" in AusE and, as you say, in international English-language media.
sarat tells us it's not so common in IndianE, so maybe that's what your teacher is thinking of.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Have got" (for possession) is used in spoken BrE probably as often, if not more often, than "have".

Have you got a pen I can borrow? (as opposed to "Do you have a...")
Has he got brown hair or blond hair? (as opposed to "Does he have...")
I've got four knives but no forks. (as opposed to "I have four...")

As a teacher, I had, until recently, taught "to have" as the possession verb. However, I recently started teaching an 8-year-old Spanish child who is already learning English at school. At our first class, he showed me his English folder and the first two verbs he had been taught were "to be" and "to have got". I was very surprised to actually see "to have got" shown as the infinitive and that he had been taught to use it in the present simple, the negative and the interrogative. I have since been told by several students that at their formal classes they have also been taught that "to have got" should be learnt for possession, not just "to have".

My personal opinion is that "I've got..." etc sounds fine in spoken English, but I would expect in a more formal, written piece, to find "I have..." I may, however, have to revise my opinion on this because, certainly in Spain, the students are being taught to both write and speak using "have got". They seem to be learning from pretty good textbooks, written by native speakers, so perhaps this is just something that we will have to get used to!

elhithebest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Thank you all :up:

As far as I knew the only difference was that HAVE GOT was informal and HAVE formal, and that HAVE GOT wasn´t used in the past tense.
But when my teacher said that HAVE GOT was no longer used I felt disconcerted.

As emsr2d2 said I haven´t ever seen TO HAVE GOT but just HAVE GOT and TO HAVE.

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Quirk et al., 1985:
have to patterns either as a main verb or as an auxiliary with respect to
operator constructions:

Do we have to get up early tomorrow? (AmE and BrE)
Have we to get up early tomorrow? (BrE - somewhat old-fashioned)
In this, it resembles other uses of HAVE as a main verb (cf 3.34). DO-support,
however, is the only construction in AmE and the dominant one in BrE.

Although have got to has the same meanings of 'obligation' and 'logical
necessity' as are expressed by have to, have got to tends not to have habitual meaning, and when combined with a verb of dynamic meaning, tends to refer to the future. There is thus a potential difference between:
Jim's got to check the temperature every 12 hours.
Jim has to check the temperature every 12 hours. [2]
Whereas is likely to have the force of a directive, stipulating what Jim's
duties will be in the future, [2] is more likely to indicate a habitual action
['This is what Jim's present duties consist of'].
Both have to and have got to occur with epistemic meaning like that of must in sentences such as:
Someone has to/has got to be telling lies
You have to/have got to be joking,
This has until recently been regarded as an AmE usage, but is now also current in BrE.
In other contexts have to and have got to express a stronger meaning of 'logical necessity'.

Studies in BrE usage show that over 85 per cent of instances of have to in negative and interrogative clauses are constructed with DO. Elicitation tests have further indicated that negative constructions without DO (of the kind I hadn't to walk more than a mile) are less acceptable than interrogative constructions without DO (such as Has he to answer the letter this week ?).

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
The expression ‘have got’ is mostly used idiomatically to show ‘obligation’

'Have got' is not an expression in English nor is 'to have got to'. It is 'have got to'. Similarly, it is not 'to be' or 'to be to', it is 'be to'. They are semi-auxiliaries.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
'Have got' is not an expression in English nor is 'to have got to'. It is 'have got to'. Similarly, it is not 'to be' or 'to be to', it is 'be to'. They are semi-auxiliaries.
I think you're misreading the thread.
It's only "have got to" if you are discussing that expression.
"Have got" is an expression in English. What's more, it's being taught as such in ESL schools.

There are two similar expressions in English:
1. "have got" meaning possession.
2. "have got to" meaning obligation.
They are not the same.
1. I have got a car. (I have a car. I possess a car.)
2. I have got to work. (I have to work; I must work.)

The thread began with a question about "have got" meaning "to have" - not about "have got to" meaning "must".
sarat has conflated the two terms, and corum seems not to know of "have got".

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
NOT A TEACHER.

"Have got" can also mean to receive or obtain something -- "You've got mail." -- whereas "have" doesn't have this meaning.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
NOT A TEACHER.

"Have got" can also mean to receive or obtain something -- "You've got mail." -- whereas "have" doesn't have this meaning.
Yes, you're right.
This is a bit different, being the present perfect tense of "get".
The three main "verbs" are:
"have got"
"have got to"
"get"

Unlike the normal verb "to get", the first two are variants of "to have" and "to have to", respectively, and they take the same forms as "to have/to" in all tenses but the simple present.

Status
Not open for further replies.