[Grammar] Usage of verbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ishthi123

Member Type
Student or Learner
I have a problem with correct usage of tenses in some cases as follows:

1. In some sentences (ex:- I am tired, I am busy, I am interested, I am late, He is born ) verbs are used with 'be' verb.

Can't we write as I tired, I busy, I late, I interest, He born ? (In present simple form)

But we don't write I am come, I am go, I am like, I am work. Why is that?

Is there any grammatical rule to use a 'be' verb before a noun in any context? (except passive voice)

In spoken english I confused with whether I include a 'be' verb (am,is,are,was were,will) or not. please help me to overcome this problem.

Thanks.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I have a problem with correct usage of tenses in some cases as follows:

1. In some sentences (ex:- I am tired, I am busy, I am interested, I am late, He is born ) verbs are used with 'be' verb.
That's right. In each case you have Subject (I, he); verb (am, is); adjective.

Can't we write as I tired, I busy, I late, I interested, He born ? (In present simple form)
No, you need a verb.

But we don't write I am come, I am go, I am like, I am work. Why is that?
Because that would make two finite verbs together.
You need one verb in a sentence like that; not 0 and not 2.

Is there any grammatical rule to use a 'be' verb before a noun in any context? (except passive voice)
Are you sure you mean "noun"? The above are adjectives. Or, is this a separate question?

In spoken english I am (or 'get') confused with whether I include a 'be' verb (am,is,are,was were,will) or not. please help me to overcome this problem.
If you are describing something, and you have a subject (I), and a adjective description (tired, busy, late ...), you need a "to be" verb between them.
Thanks.
R.

ishthi123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thanks for your explanation.

I thought those words are (tired,interested,closed) verb. But now understood.

One question left. How can we identify a word is whether a verb or adjective?

for instance, you corrected the term "am (get) confused". Then why "I confused" is wrong? (past form of "I confuse him") Cant we use "I confused" in any context of english speech?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks for your explanation.

I thought those words are (tired,interested,closed) verb. But now understood.

One question left. How can we identify a word is whether a verb or adjective?
If you're unsure, you have to look at the whole clause, and see what it could possibly be. You can't tell just be looking at the word. Words in general can take a lot of functions.

for instance, you corrected the term "am (get) confused". Then why "I confused" is wrong? (past form of "I confuse him")
"I confused" is wrong because you need an object. You have to confuse something.
The past tense of "I confuse him" is "I confused him", which is not "I confuse".
Cant we use "I confused" in any context of english speech?
No.
R.

Status
Not open for further replies.