Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Suppose there are 3 persons here. and in your mind they are all bad. Can you ask a student like this:”Which of the three is bad?”

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Suppose there are 3 [STRIKE]persons[/STRIKE] people here and in your mind they are all bad. Can you ask a student [STRIKE]like[/STRIKE] this: "Which of the three is bad?”

When you say "in your mind they are all bad", do you mean that this is simply your opinion? If there is no evidence that any of them are bad, then I don't see how your students could answer the question.

However, I am assuming that in the situation, there would a be a little more information for them to go on, so you could say:

Which of the three is bad? (The use of "is" would suggest that you are expecting the answer to only involve one of the three.)

Which of the three are bad? (The use of "are" suggests you expect that at least two of them would be involved in the answer.)

How many of the three are bad (people)? - The answer would simply be a number.

Are any of these people bad? If so, which (ones)? Elicits a yes/no, followed by a specific answer.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
When you say "in your mind they are all bad", do you mean that this is simply your opinion? If there is no evidence that any of them are bad, then I don't see how your students could answer the question.

However, I am assuming that in the situation, there would a be a little more information for them to go on, so you could say:

Which of the three is bad? (The use of "is" would suggest that you are expecting the answer to only involve one of the three.)

Which of the three are bad? (The use of "are" suggests you expect that at least two of them would be involved in the answer.)

How many of the three are bad (people)? - The answer would simply be a number.

Are any of these people bad? If so, which (ones)? Elicits a yes/no, followed by a specific answer.
Thank you for detailed explanation.My real problem is:In a multiple -choice question,the question is :"Which of the three vistitors do you find suspicios? a. the waiter, b. the man, c.the waitress d. all of them "In my eyes, the " d" item shouldn't be in,because which of the three is excluded all of the three.Am I right?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, the word "which" can be for more than one. It does not restrict the answer to one and one only.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
No, the word "which" can be for more than one. It does not restrict the answer to one and one only.
Thanks a lot.But you haven't solved my problem.Of course I know in the above ,which doesn't restrict one or more than one.My point is :Can which refer to all of the three?According to the <A Dictionary of contemporary American Usage>by Evans:" It (i.e. which ,noted by me)always asks about some out of a definite, known group."P.553.So I think the d item in the original can't be as the right choice ,though it may be an interferer.Am I right?Thanks a lot!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks a lot.But you haven't solved my problem.Of course I know in the above ,which doesn't restrict one or more than one.My point is :Can which refer to all of the three?According to the <A Dictionary of contemporary American Usage>by Evans:" It (i.e. which ,noted by me)always asks about some out of a definite, known group."P.553.So I think the d item in the original can't be as the right choice ,though it may be an interferer.Am I right?Thanks a lot!

Yes, answer D is possible.

Which of the three do you find suspicious?
All of them!

None of them.

One of them - the waiter.

Two of them - the waiter and the waitress.

All of those answers are possible, and the question would be the same.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Yes, answer D is possible.

All of them!

None of them.

One of them - the waiter.

Two of them - the waiter and the waitress.

All of those answers are possible, and the question would be the same.
You said clearly.Bu what do you think of Evan's words
"Which always asks about some out of a definite , known group, "

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
some out of a definite , known group

This is only a general statement and shouldn't be taken too literally. It could be anything from 'none' to 'all of them'. Otherwise, how else do you ask the question?

not a teacher

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I simply don't think it's clear enough. Perhaps it should say "Which - always asks about none, some or all of a definite, known group".

I think the more important part of the definition is the "of a definite known group". You wouldn't use "which" for vague, general groups.

Which people in the world have blond hair? Incorrect - all the people in the world isn't a definite group.
How many people in the world have blond hair? Correct. Difficult to answer, but...!

Which of the people in this room have blond hair? Correct, and easy to answer!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
You can fix this easily if you want to, by asking:
"Which, if any, of the three ..."

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You can fix this easily if you want to, by asking:
"Which, if any, of the three ..."
1.What we are discussing is how to correctly answer the question---" Which of the three visitors do you find suspicious? "and is not how to correct the question.
2.The words by Eveans "Which always asks about some out of a definite , known group,"are our guidance to the problem.
3.Thus coming the result:"all of them" cannot be as the key."Do you think so?I am glad to hear you.Thank you.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
1.What we are discussing is how to correctly answer the question---" Which of the three visitors do you find suspicious? "and is not how to correct the question.
2.The words by Eveans "Which always asks about some out of a definite , known group,"are our guidance to the problem.
Your guidance is flawed if this is all you have to go on.
3.Thus coming the result:"all of them" cannot be as the key."Do you think so?
No I don't agree. 'Some' can include 'all' in this context. But 'some' cannot include 'none' - though most native speakers would not have a problem with answering 'none' to a "Which?" question, if that was their opinion.
But I agree that, if you find none of them suspicious, you cannot sensibly answer that question in a pedantically correct way given Evans' definition.
I am glad to hear you.Thank you.
What I meant was that Evans could fix his description by adding "if any", not that you should have to amend an error in a textbook. But, if you ever decide to use a question like this, you could add my guidance to that of Evans, and ask, "Which, if any, of the three visitors, do you find suspicious?"

Last edited:

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I simply don't think it's clear enough. Perhaps it should say "Which - always asks about none, some or all of a definite, known group".

I think the more important part of the definition is the "of a definite known group". You wouldn't use "which" for vague, general groups.

Which people in the world have blond hair? Incorrect - all the people in the world isn't a definite group.
How many people in the world have blond hair? Correct. Difficult to answer, but...!

Which of the people in this room have blond hair? Correct, and easy to answer!
I am satisfied with you.Thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.