• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Smile Should "helped" be "help"?

The Labor Contract Law enacted in January 2008 tries to guarantee contracts for all full-time employees, but leaves many details vague. Another law enacted in May 2008 helped streamline the system of arbitration and lawsuits, but civil courts and arbitration committees, which are made up of government employees, have been overwhelmed by a flood of cases. ---taken from the NYT

Dear teacher,

As far as I know, both laws enacted in 2008 are effective now, so I wonder whether the "helped" should be "help". May I have your opinion? Thanks.

LQZ

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Should "helped" be "help"?

Quote Originally Posted by LQZ View Post
    The Labor Contract Law enacted in January 2008 tries to guarantee contracts for all full-time employees, but leaves many details vague. Another law enacted in May 2008 helped streamline the system of arbitration and lawsuits, but civil courts and arbitration committees, which are made up of government employees, have been overwhelmed by a flood of cases. ---taken from the NYT

Dear teacher,

As far as I know, both laws enacted in 2008 are effective now, so I wonder whether the "helped" should be "help". May I have your opinion? Thanks.

LQZ
    If you continue to read to the end of the sentence you will see why "helped" was used. When the law was passed in 2008, it (originally) helped to streamline the system BUT the courts and committees have, as a result, been overwhelmed by the number of cases. In that respect, the 2008 law is no longer helping to streamline the system, therefore it helped.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    If you continue to read to the end of the sentence you will see why "helped" was used. When the law was passed in 2008, it (originally) helped to streamline the system BUT the courts and committees have, as a result, been overwhelmed by the number of cases. In that respect, the 2008 law is no longer helping to streamline the system, therefore it helped.
    Thank you, emsr2d2. Your reply makes sense to me. :)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

However, had the simple present been the right choice, it would have been "helps" not "help."

The law would use the third-person, singular form of the verb.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.