Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The Labor Contract Law enacted in January 2008 tries to guarantee contracts for all full-time employees, but leaves many details vague. Another law enacted in May 2008 helped streamline the system of arbitration and lawsuits, but civil courts and arbitration committees, which are made up of government employees, have been overwhelmed by a flood of cases. ---taken from the NYT

Dear teacher,

As far as I know, both laws enacted in 2008 are effective now, so I wonder whether the "helped" should be "help". May I have your opinion? Thanks.

LQZ
progress.gif

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The Labor Contract Law enacted in January 2008 tries to guarantee contracts for all full-time employees, but leaves many details vague. Another law enacted in May 2008 helped streamline the system of arbitration and lawsuits, but civil courts and arbitration committees, which are made up of government employees, have been overwhelmed by a flood of cases. ---taken from the NYT

Dear teacher,

As far as I know, both laws enacted in 2008 are effective now, so I wonder whether the "helped" should be "help". May I have your opinion? Thanks.

LQZ
progress.gif

If you continue to read to the end of the sentence you will see why "helped" was used. When the law was passed in 2008, it (originally) helped to streamline the system BUT the courts and committees have, as a result, been overwhelmed by the number of cases. In that respect, the 2008 law is no longer helping to streamline the system, therefore it helped.

Reactions: LQZ

LQZ

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If you continue to read to the end of the sentence you will see why "helped" was used. When the law was passed in 2008, it (originally) helped to streamline the system BUT the courts and committees have, as a result, been overwhelmed by the number of cases. In that respect, the 2008 law is no longer helping to streamline the system, therefore it helped.
Thank you, emsr2d2. Your reply makes sense to me. :)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
However, had the simple present been the right choice, it would have been "helps" not "help."

The law would use the third-person, singular form of the verb.

Status
Not open for further replies.