Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
1.A Chinese magazine holds healthy body is wrong.But I looked up a dictionary by Japanese finding the phrase.
2.Although I spoke to him many times, he never took any ----of what I said.
A . notice, B. consideration
A Chinese magazine chooses A.But the above dictionary has the phrase "takec consideration of".
What do you think of 1 and 2?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
1. A healthy body is fine.

2. He didn't take any notice.

Rover

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
1. A healthy body is fine.

2. He didn't take any notice.

Rover
Is"he didn't take any consideration of what I said," wrong?Thanks for your help.

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Is"he didn't take any consideration of what I said," wrong?Thanks for your help.

take notice
give consideration
take into consideration

not take consideration

not a teacher

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

crazYgeeK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi, could anyone here please tell me how it goes wrong with "consideration" ? Is it wrong grammatically or semantically ?
Thanks to all !

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi, could anyone here please tell me how it goes wrong with "consideration" ? Is it wrong grammatically or semantically ?
Thanks to all !

As a previous response said, we "take something into consideration" or we "give consideration to something", but we don't simply "take consideration".

Please take my opinions into consideration when you make your decision.
Please give consideration to other people's responses.

Please take notice of my comments.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Yes, it's wrong, as the others have implied.
"take consideration of this fact (=this fac into consideration) in pulishing the criminal" which I quoted from
Kenkyusha's New Dictionary of English Collocations P.253.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"take consideration of this fact (=this fac into consideration) in pulishing the criminal" which I quoted from
Kenkyusha's New Dictionary of English Collocations P.253.
It's not at all surprising that some entries in a Japanese dictionary of English collocations will not ring true to many native speakers.

Even so, the nature of the test means you have to choose the best answer, and probably even Kenkyusha would tell you that "never took any notice" is a far more common collocation and a superior choice to "never took any consideration".

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It's not at all surprising that some entries in a Japanese dictionary of English collocations will not ring true to many native speakers.

Even so, the nature of the test means you have to choose the best answer, and probably even Kenkyusha would tell you that "never took any notice" is a far more common collocation and a superior choice to "never took any consideration".
You have put forward a serious question which refers to how judging a dictionary.As a student who is not English,he only can believe a dictionary,of course ,not any.Afterwards how to deal with such similar problems is very difficult to us.Can you give us a general guide!Thank you very much!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
You have put forward a serious question which refers to how judging a dictionary.As a student who is not English,he only can believe a dictionary,of course ,not any.Afterwards how to deal with such similar problems is very difficult to us.Can you give us a general guide!Thank you very much!
Textbooks and other such publications are usually reviewed in the scholarly media. Often you can find such reviews on the web. Also there is a useful feature of Amazon's and other book sellers, where book owners can give their own reviews.

There has been some adverse criticism of Kenkyusha's original 1958 work, but the current edition may have fixed the contentious parts. I'll look for some scholarly reviews of the latest Kenkyusha's Collocations when I'm on my university website next.

If you use a collocation from such a dictionary, and receive blank stares in return, you should obviously post here and check it.

In the meantime, you might enjoy this sketch about a Hungarian phrase book.
YouTube - Dirty Hungarian Phrasebook - Monty Python

Status
Not open for further replies.