present continous tense

I always get confused whether I should use "going to" and use present continous tense when it comes to describing future event.
    I know we use present continous when we have a plan in advance but even going to is used when there is firm plan and decision. So I get confused .
    Can you please help when should we use "going to" and present continous tense

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Argentina
      • Current Location:
      • Argentina

Smile Re: present continous tense

Quote Originally Posted by cookingkit View Post
    I always get confused whether I should use "going to" and use present continous tense when it comes to describing future event.
    I know we use present continous when we have a plan in advance but even going to is used when there is firm plan and decision. So I get confused .
    Can you please help when should we use "going to" and present continous tense

Hi
    As far as I know present continuos and be going to have no difference when refering to future plans.

But there is a difference between be going to and will when refering to predictions and plans, if you use be going to means that you have prior knoledge or see signs of sth. which is about to happen in predictions,

e.g Itīs going to rain (itīs cloudy and about to rain)
    They are going to be married soon(her sister told me)

And in plans be going to means that you had already planned or arranged to do sth.when you mention it, while will indicates that you made the decision at the moment of speaking.

I hope it be of help.Letīs wait and see if some native tells us wether it is that strict or not.
    best wishes