[Grammar] The use of (for / of) when writing mails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nomthi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi there,

English is not my maternal language and have difficulty in expressing myself properly. I work in a fmcg enviroment and really have to improve my English as I deal with overseas suppliers. Please could someone tell me when and how to use (of / for )when constructing a sentence?

Thanking you kindly,
Nomthi

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi there,

English is not my maternal language and have difficulty in expressing myself properly. I work in a fmcg enviroment and really have to improve my English as I deal with overseas suppliers. Please could someone tell me when and how to use (of / for )when constructing a sentence?

Thanking you kindly,
Nomthi

Welcome to the forum!

First - what is an "fmcg environment"?

Second - the use of "of" and "for" is a rather wide-ranging subject. Could you give us some specific questions where you are having problems with them?

Editors4Writers

Member Type
English Teacher
Hi there,

Thanking you kindly,
Nomthi

Hi, if you ever need a professional company to edit your documents, please consider mine: Editors for Writers, Inc.

The word "for" has many functions, typically for indicating the purpose of a claim. It can assume the role of a preposition or conjunction.

Here is an example of for in its prepositional form: I want to go there for the food.

The person in this sentence wants to go somewhere because of the food.

Why is he going there? He's going there for the food.

Simple, right? :up:

There are seven other different uses, but I hope this one bit helps.

The word "of," on the other hand, can be explained as a preposition that connects attributes to whatever is previously stated before it.

Example: The thoughts of Plato.

The thoughts of who? The thoughts of Plato. Plato elaborates the possessive use of of. This is one of the prepositional roles associated with of.

Status
Not open for further replies.