Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
What is the meaning of "lost to the competition" in the sentence - And why have they not been lost to the competition from other institutions? Thanks

Heterological

Member Type
English Teacher
"Lose" has many different meanings. I suspect in this case, it is the opposite of "win," as in what happens in sports: one team wins, the other team loses. The "competition" could be the other team, or this could be a business metaphor, and the "competition" would be a rival business. You did not provide any context for the phrase, so that is the best I can do.

olegv

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Thanks a lot. Actually, I did not understand the usage of "to" to say "to the competition". [I have never come across the usage of "to" with "competition" as noun] Is it the same as in the competition? Many thanks.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What is the meaning of "lost to the competition" in the sentence - And why have they not been lost to the competition from other institutions? Thanks

'Your own lips have said it' ;-) . That's one of the meanings of 'the competition'. And sporting metaphors are very popular in the corporate world (which I assume is the context).

b

Status
Not open for further replies.