Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 40
    #1

    "Practice"--countable or uncounable

    Hi
    I found two sentences with the word "practice" in them from dictionary.

    1. I need to get some more practice before I take my driving test.

    2. She's never at home because she spends all her free time at hockey practices.


    I don't know why the "practice" in sentence one doesn't need to be plural?

    Thanks!

    Daryl

  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,830
    #2

    Re: "Practice"--countable or uncounable

    Quote Originally Posted by Daryl.L View Post
    Hi
    I found two sentences with the word "practice" in them from dictionary.

    1. I need to get some more practice before I take my driving test.

    2. She's never at home because she spends all her free time at hockey practices.


    I don't know why the "practice" in sentence one doesn't need to be plural?

    Thanks!

    Daryl
    In sentence 1, practice is simply used as a general noun. The sentence means that the writer needs to practice more before taking her driving test and the sentence might actually have been better written as "I need to practice more before taking my driving test".

    In sentence 2, the word "practices" replaces "practice sessions" and is therefore plural. The writer is talking about very specific times/hours when someone is at her "hockey practice sessions", shortened to "hockey practices".

    Having said that, as far as I'm concerned, if the second sentence had said "She's never at home because she spends all her free time at hockey practice", I would not have said it was incorrect.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 40
    #3

    Re: "Practice"--countable or uncounable

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    In sentence 1, practice is simply used as a general noun. The sentence means that the writer needs to practice more before taking her driving test and the sentence might actually have been better written as "I need to practice more before taking my driving test".

    In sentence 2, the word "practices" replaces "practice sessions" and is therefore plural. The writer is talking about very specific times/hours when someone is at her "hockey practice sessions", shortened to "hockey practices".

    Having said that, as far as I'm concerned, if the second sentence had said "She's never at home because she spends all her free time at hockey practice", I would not have said it was incorrect.
    Thanks for indicating the usage of the word "practice". I appreciate your help. So does it mean the rule of using "practice or practices" is very flexible? It doesn't really matter if I carelessly use the word "practice" with or without the "s" at the end?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,307
    #4

    Re: "Practice"--countable or uncounable

    Quote Originally Posted by Daryl.L View Post
    Thanks for indicating the usage of the word "practice". I appreciate your help. So does it mean the rule of using "practice or practices" is very flexible? It doesn't really matter if I carelessly use the word "practice" with or without the "s" at the end?
    Not a teacher.

    Your conclusion is wrong. "Practices" is plural only in the context of sports, in my experience.

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #5

    Re: "Practice"--countable or uncounable

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    Not a teacher.

    Your conclusion is wrong. "Practices" is plural only in the context of sports, in my experience.
    Perhaps In AmE.

    Are there any medical practices in this area?
    These dubious practices are not company policy.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 40
    #6

    Re: "Practice"--countable or uncounable

    My dad 's cooking skills have been improved through cooking lessons and hands-on practices.

    I make up this sentence, so is it correct?

    Thanks

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 40
    #7

    Re: "Practice"--countable or uncounable

    could someone give me an answer please?

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #8

    Re: "Practice"--countable or uncounable

    Quote Originally Posted by Daryl.L View Post
    could someone give me an answer please?
    No, you need "practice" here.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 40
    #9

    Re: "Practice"--countable or uncounable

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    No, you need "practice" here.
    So you mean my sentence is wrong.

    "My dad 's cooking skills have been improved through cooking lessons and hands-on practices."

    I should use "practice" instead?

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #10

    Re: "Practice"--countable or uncounable

    Quote Originally Posted by Daryl.L View Post
    So you mean my sentence is wrong.
    Yes, that's what I meant.
    "My dad 's cooking skills have been improved through cooking lessons and hands-on practices."
    That is wrong.
    I should use "practice" instead?
    Yes.
    Your sentence is wrong. You need to use 'practice' here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-Jun-2010, 02:25
  2. [Grammar] Is "Mercy" countable or uncountable?
    By Marybeth in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-Oct-2009, 22:46
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Oct-2009, 14:23
  4. [Grammar] is "some water" uncountable or countable?
    By kwfine in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-Apr-2009, 20:27
  5. Is "stroke" countable or uncountable?
    By pink dragon in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-Mar-2008, 15:25

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •