English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello,
I am listening to a fairytale "Hansel and Gretel" in English and copying it down as I listen (just for practice). I can't make out what the witch says in the following extract:

“Fetch some water, girl. Be Hansel fat or thin, I must kill and cook him.”
“Oh, please, don’t cook him, please!”
“Be quiet and fetch the water! _________boiled we’ll do the baking. I’ve heated the oven already and kneaded the dough. Go to the oven and see if it is hot enough.”
If someone wants to help me, go to this page:
http: // englishhobby.ru/audio_hansel_and_gretel.html
The above conversation is closer to the end of the story.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can't listen to it; I don't read Cyrillic, and don't know what to click. I could download the MP3, but I don't know what else I'd be downloading. Might it be 'Once it's boiled...' or 'While/Whilst it's boiling...' or 'While/Whilst it boils...'? (The '-st' ending is becoming less common now, and your dictionary might not include it. The /t/ may have made you mis-hear 'boils'.)

b

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I can't listen to it; I don't read Cyrillic, and don't know what to click. I could download the MP3, but I don't know what else I'd be downloading. Might it be 'Once it's boiled...' or 'While/Whilst it's boiling...' or 'While/Whilst it boils...'? (The '-st' ending is becoming less common now, and your dictionary might not include it. The /t/ may have made you mis-hear 'boils'.)

b
Thank you, I listened to it again, there's something like "till it boiled" or "to the boy" (I know it doesn't make sense, but it's just the sounds I hear). There mustn't be any problem listening to the recording, no special download is required, you just go to page englishhobby.ru/audio_hansel_and_gretel.html
and the recording starts automatically (after, perhaps, a few seconds).

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The phrase 'to the boy' (which doesn't sound right, although the witch was doing something 'to the boy') suggests the phrase 'to the boil'; when water 'comes to the boil' it reaches boiling point. (Sorry; I've tried again and the web page still doesn't work for me. :oops:)

b

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
the link is this:

click me

and I could hear nothing that was supposed to come before 'boiled', the speech starts at 3:59, time counts down, so you may click that time and listen to the talking.

To my ears, the hungry and desperate woman says:

Be quiet and fetch the water! Boiled we’ll do the baking.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Actually the recording is very faint at that moment. I can't make it out for certain. It sounds like:

"With it boiled, we'll do the baking."

However, that's not quite the same as the brothers' Grimm version I believe.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I had to listen to that segment three times, but I'm pretty sure she says, "Till it boils, we'll do the baking."

Thanks to everyone who participated, especially to Heteorological. It's surely "till it boils"!!! I am absolutely happy!!!:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.