Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
i have once ever read about possessive adjectives in an english grammar book and found that those words are not supposed to be called adjectives without any further explanation. could you please explain why?

the term possessive adjectives, according to the book, was only used in old english grammar. so what is the term in modern english grammar?

thanks a lot!

Leandro-Z

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
When it comes to wether it is better to know the modern or the elder English, I could tell you that today`s transformations are so related to the every day jargon that this modifications in the language ruin, in a metaphoric way, the correct use of the English.
A good example is the Direct and Indirect Speech. It has been always known that the Past Simple passes as Past Perfect in Indirect Speech. However, today it is accepted to pass the Past Simple into the Past Simple.
Another example is the Second Conditional. Nowadays, it is possible to say "If I was you" instead of "If I were you".

By a constant student, as we are learning new things all the time.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
i have once ever read about possessive adjectives in an english grammar book and found that those words are not supposed to be called adjectives without any further explanation. could you please explain why?

the term possessive adjectives, according to the book, was only used in old english grammar. so what is the term in modern english grammar?

thanks a lot!

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, DhBlue.

(1) Are you referring to:

my/mine

your/yours

his/his

her/hers

its

our/ ours

their/theirs

(2) If you are, I checked some books and found out that: