Used to- auxiliary verbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimmy3169

Member Type
Student or Learner
Is there anyone who can help clarify my doubt? Do we use 'usen't' as a question tag in english?

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Is there anyone who can help clarify my doubt? Do we use 'usen't' as a question tag in english?

====Not a teacher====

NO, I have never heard about that before! :?:

Suggestion: Not to use it. :up:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I believe that in very old English, you would have been able to say:

You used to eat a lot of fish, usedn't you?

"Usedn't" would be a contraction of "used not you?" but we don't say it like that any more. We now say "You used to eat a lot of fish, didn't you?"

kimmy3169

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thank you for clarifying my doubt. I have one more query- is this question correct? "Usen't you to go to school with him?"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for clarifying my doubt. I have one more query- is this question correct? "Usen't you to go to school with him?"

Note the spelling. It's not "usen't", it's "usedn't" because it's a contraction of "useD you not".

I would say that the sentence is OK, but as I said, it sounds very old fashioned. My grandfather, who is 90 years old, might still use this construction but I don't know anyone younger who would say it.

You used to go to school with him, didn't you?
Didn't you used to go to school with him?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The form of the verb required is the infinitive so 'Didn't you use to ...?' is correct.

REALLY?! Oh my word! I've had this wrong my entire life, and so did my English teacher in that case! I vaguely remember her going in to a long and detailed explanation about the fact that "used to" isn't related to the verb "use" but is a standalone phrase that always involves the word "used".

I stand corrected and take back all I said!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I get corrected on this one all the time.

"I didn't use to" SOUNDS exactly like "I didn't used to" as does "Did you use to" sounds like "Did you used to." Since we say "I used to" in the positive it feels logical.

(Back to a prior post with how things sound being easier for me than how they look...)

I need to keep reminding myself it's like "Did you ran" instead of "Did you run" when I want to type "used."

Status
Not open for further replies.